Baking A Cake In A Ceramic Bowl?

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 1 May 2009 , 2:25am by mrsunknown

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hi CC!

I am making a hamburger cake next week and I am wanting a nice "rounder" bun for the top piece. I was thinking of baking a cake in a ceramic bowl. Can this work? Do you have to have a specific ceramic bowl for this? Is there another way of achieving the dome? Here is a picture for an example of what I am talking about. Any tips would be so great!
LL

3 replies
cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 4

anyone have an answer for me?? puh-lease??? lol icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 4

I don't remember which one of these videos is of the hamburger cake, or if it even was, but she did bake a cake in big round glass bowl. Maybe it was for a lady bug....?? I don't know, but she did bake it in the round bowl for a nice round top.
Hope this helps somewhat!!

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/events/events.html

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #4 of 4

imo, most definatley!!!!

i do this all the time! you don't get a thick crust on your cake and imo i think it is little more moist in texture, with the ceramic being thicker than a tin i cook it for slightly longer at a lower temp, but i think the ceramic holds the heat more therefore being cooked just a tad longer at a little lower temp.

i also bake in stainless steel mixing bowls, to get the more dome dome shape, i have found that the crust comes out quite thick and needs to be shaven, but i recently came across the tip of placing a nail in the middle of the cake while baking to reduce the baking time and guarantee a cooked cake in the middle, so the next time i bake one in a tin i will be using a nail and reducing the cook time hopefully = thinner crust.

HTH
Sorry it is long!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%