Purchased Airbrush--Now I've Got Questions!

Decorating By isabow2 Updated 13 May 2009 , 7:53pm by Mamaelf

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 18

I recently bought this airbrush system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190301705254

& just received it yesterday. Of course I know nothing about using an airbrush (but I just HAD to get one-I love new caking tools icon_razz.gif) so I have a few questions.

1. What is the recommended PSI that I use so as not to blow through my fondant?

2. Am I correct in thinking that I don't need to thin the colors before using them?

3. How can I adjust the smaller gun, or do I even need to?

I know the last question is specific to the gun that I purchased, but I know others have purchased from this seller & was hoping they might be able to answer that one as I can't seem to get it to work.

As for the other questions, any help would be appreciated! thumbs_up.gif

17 replies
ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 18

I bought an airbrush from the same company on ebay last week, but it is a simpler one, it came with only 4 Americolors, it was about $85.00 with shipping.
You can remove the tip of the gun to expose the needle and airbrush small areas.

I used the red color for a mini mousse cake and it came out a gorgeous bright red! I love it! I did not thin the color though as I think they are specially designed to not clog the gun, please correct me if Im wrong.
My airbrush is very simple and I cant change the PSI but you it very easy to control, I never used one before and it was the easiest thing to do.

I also ordered extra airbrush colors from into t h e o v e n that I just received today (I think the have the cheapest prices), got some silver, gold and peal sheen colors but I havent used them yet.

From what Ive read here in the forums if you are going to use luster dust diluted in vodka or lemon extract you have to make a thin consistency mix and make sure you shake the mix well right before you put it on the airbrush to avoid clogging.

Other than that it is very easy to assemble and use, I cant wait to use on my cakes coming up.

isabow2 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

I bought an airbrush from the same company on ebay last week, but it is a simpler one, it came with only 4 Americolors, it was about $85.00 with shipping.
You can remove the tip of the gun to expose the needle and airbrush small areas.

I used the red color for a mini mousse cake and it came out a gorgeous bright red! I love it! I did not thin the color though as I think they are specially designed to not clog the gun, please correct me if Im wrong.
My airbrush is very simple and I cant change the PSI but you it very easy to control, I never used one before and it was the easiest thing to do.

I also ordered extra airbrush colors from into t h e o v e n that I just received today (I think the have the cheapest prices), got some silver, gold and peal sheen colors but I havent used them yet.

From what Ive read here in the forums if you are going to use luster dust diluted in vodka or lemon extract you have to make a thin consistency mix and make sure you shake the mix well right before you put it on the airbrush to avoid clogging.

Other than that it is very easy to assemble and use, I cant wait to use on my cakes coming up.

Did you have to adjust your gun at all? Or were you able to use it straight out of the box? I have the smaller gun & the larger one. The larger one worked great, but I couldn't get the small gun to do anything but drip & splatter paint out of it. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust it.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 18

Check the needle-it may be clogged. When I first got mine I noticed that when it started "spitting" blobs it had a bunch of color stuck in the tip. As far as PSI goes, I was able to use mine at the highes PSI it goes with no probs (except when coloring hardened fondant "bits" that flew away!). Just takes some practice. I tried on boards first to get the control and figure out how to do fine lines vs wide then moved to a practice cake. Good Luck-it;s tons of fun. I love my airbrush!!

isabow2 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 18

How do you clean your airbrush? I've seen an airbrush cleaning fluid, but I don't want to go that route b/c it might not be food safe. Do you just use hot soapy water?

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #6 of 18

I just use HOT HOT HOT water with no soap. I used soap the first time and it took FOREVER to get rid of the bubbles!! In hindsight, maybe I used too much soap. LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

amyhowerth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyhowerth Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:15am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabow2

How do you clean your airbrush? I've seen an airbrush cleaning fluid, but I don't want to go that route b/c it might not be food safe. Do you just use hot soapy water?

I took an airbrushing course from Janet Brown. She uses Windex to clean the airbrush. This works really well. I was just using hot water at first. After using the windex I got a whole lot more color out of the gun that the water apparently didn't get out.

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 18

How do you like the airbrush, does it work well?

Mamaelf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamaelf Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 18

So glad to find this site and forum. I have an airbrush on it's way, also bought from eBay. I bought the one that comes with two brushes for different applications and 12 colors. I also bought the pearl paint as I have a cake for June and they want a "Vegas" theme. The cake they picked out has each layer two tone and they want the upper tone to be in bright colors. Not really my cup of tea, but will do my best to give them what they want. Started looking for shiny to do on the cake and found the pearlized colors.

Any tips you might have would be more then welcome.

Thank you in advance.

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 18

I always wanted one ... just thought it would be sooo hard to work... Which is the easiest to use...?

isabow2 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 18

I really like the one I have. The bigger gun works great right out of the box. I'm having to contact their service department about the smaller one. I've seen a lot of people on here say they like the Kopykake airbrush. It seems a little simpler so you might want to check that out. However, I like that my kit came w/24 colors. I also purchased a $10 airbrush from Harbor Freight that came w/6 color cups. The nice thing about that one is that the color doesn't actually go through the gun itself, but uses suction. So there is no gun cleaning or small parts to worry about. Also, the cups have lids that you can store your colors in instead of having to empty/clean the cups when you want to change colors. HTH!!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 18

isabow2: Would you send me the info & website on the one you got from Harbor Freight, I want to look into that model too.

Thanks!

isabow2 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

isabow2: Would you send me the info & website on the one you got from Harbor Freight, I want to look into that model too.

Thanks!

Here is a link to their website for that gun:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93506

The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't do really fine lines (or if it does I haven't been able to figure out how yet). The one I purchased off eBay should do lines that are a pencil width which would be great for details. But the one from Harbor Freight can paint a cake in seconds & the quick change cups make it less messy, which is always a plus since my kitchen is usually a total disaster when I'm working on a cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

Mamaelf Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #14 of 18

Hi Isabow2, when I saw you were in Iowa I thought great a neighbor. Unfortunatly we are at opposite ends of the state. I wanted to ask if you hear of any helpful classes or meetings in IA that would be worth while for me to check out I would love for you to let me know.

I am going over to Chicago to Wilton for their Master course as well as a couple of other classes. It will be for two weeks and I am hoping to upgrade my skills.
I have gotten into a rut and want to be able to offer more up to date cakes for people as well as master fondant and gumpaste.

As I mentioned above I have also purchased the air gun kit and colors so will work at perfecting that also.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks isabow2! I looked it up and checked the manual, looks like you need to buy an air regular (seperately - of course) and that should allow you do adjust the air flow to do finer lines. I think this is what they are talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36797 You may want to call and ask them to be sure.

Keep me posted on how things go!

isabow2 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

Thanks isabow2! I looked it up and checked the manual, looks like you need to buy an air regular (seperately - of course) and that should allow you do adjust the air flow to do finer lines. I think this is what they are talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36797 You may want to call and ask them to be sure.

Keep me posted on how things go!

Thanks for the info. The compressor that I bought comes w/a built in regulator so maybe I need to play w/that to see just how fine a line I can get w/the Harbor Freight airbrush. thumbs_up.gif

isabow2 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaelf

Hi Isabow2, when I saw you were in Iowa I thought great a neighbor. Unfortunatly we are at opposite ends of the state. I wanted to ask if you hear of any helpful classes or meetings in IA that would be worth while for me to check out I would love for you to let me know.

I am going over to Chicago to Wilton for their Master course as well as a couple of other classes. It will be for two weeks and I am hoping to upgrade my skills.
I have gotten into a rut and want to be able to offer more up to date cakes for people as well as master fondant and gumpaste.

As I mentioned above I have also purchased the air gun kit and colors so will work at perfecting that also.

Our town is small so we just have the basic Wilton courses, but I'll keep my eyes open. You might want to check out ICES in Chicago in June (I think). They offer classes on a variety of topics cake/sugar art related. I wanted to go, but they are pricey & it just isn't in the cake budget right now. I'm self-taught but am always wanting to learn more! Too bad we're not closer, it would be nice to have someone around that shares my sickness for cakes!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mamaelf Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I am in very small town also, no jobs. I am going to Chicago in June to take the Wilton Master course, so will be happy to share anything I learn. Was very pricey but am hoping investment in future. In order to have job Hubbby lives and works in another state, so if I can realize enough from my shop he can come home,lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%