How Do I Charge For A Cake???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm by indydebi

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!!

I am wanting to figure out how to charge for one of my cakes. I have sat down and written out each individual price for each ingredient and supplies I use for each cake. However, some things are in ounces, cups, each etc. How do I divide everything out so I can get a accurate amount how much each cake cost to make????

Thank you!!

5 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 6

I believe that there is alice's pricing matrix in which would help a lot with that. When I find it I will send you the link for it.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 6

Scroll down and it is the version N. I believe that there are some more recent ones but if you look through the thread there are more updated versions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-148801-matrix.html

There is also cake boss

cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:30am
post #4 of 6

I found some info that would help you find out your flour conversion
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_cups_of_flour_is_in_a_5_lb_bag

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much!!!

This helps out a lot.... =)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 6

ALso, if you look on hte Nutrition label on the side of the package, it tells you what they use as a serving size and how many servings in the container. It's easy to figure the unit price by this.

Example (and just making up numbers for an example):

Flour: Serving size = 1/4 cup. Number of servings: 80 Cost of 5 lb bag of flour: $4.00

This means there are 20 cups of flour in the bag (80 one-quarter cups is 20 one cups). $4.00 divided by 20 cups = 20 cents per cup.

Knowing there are 20 cups in a 5 lbs, I set up a spreadsheet to automatically calculate the price based on this info (4 cups per lb). So all I have to do is plug in the pound size of the bag and the price and it automatically calculates the per-unit price for me. I always have updated costs available. (I have this on every single item I buy ... over 400 lines).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%