Will A Dehydrator Help Dry Figures Made Out Of Fondant

Decorating By kdscalling Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 12:06am by beachcakes

kdscalling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdscalling Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

In Texas the humidity is really high right now. I started working on this husband and wife figures on Sunday. On Monday morning they had pretty much melted.

It is better but still very humid so I put them in a dehydrator. Has anyone done this before? I need help. This is due tomorrow morning .

sincerely

Katherine

9 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 10

should be fine as long as the temp is on cool setting

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:20am
post #3 of 10

I live in Washington, so not so humid, but I tried using a dehydrator the other day and it kept the fondant warm so it was never drying. My dehydrator was even on the lowest setting. I eventually ended up using my hair dryer on the cool setting. I would think that you would be better off using a fan on them all day/night. Sorry that I am not more help. Good luck!

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 10

I usually put my figurines in front of a fan if I need them to dry quickly.

LP4702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LP4702 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 10

thanks so much for the tip about the fan....we're having more of those 'April Showers' and my fondant pieces are still very soft!!!! Will certainly be giving it a try!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 10

Would it help to make them out of gumpaste?

I agree about the fan. The dehydrater I tried to use once didn't have a cool setting and it stayed to warm for me to trust it. Some people have put theirs in the oven with just the light on.

kdscalling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdscalling Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you everyone. I had set the dehydrator for 4 hours on a low low setting. I was so worried I jumped up at 4am to check. It worked...this time.

It was so humid here last Monday that a figure I had made at Lorraine's class in Houston in March started leaning.

I think I am going to try a mix of Satin Ice and gumpaste.

Thanks again,
Katherine

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 10

I heart my dehydrator.

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 10

I had a dehydrator and took it back. I used it one time and it didnt really work well plus it was too narrow to fit larger items in it. I now turn my oven on to the lowest setting, once it preheats, I turn it off and stick my items in the oven for 2 minutes. They get slightly warm. Once they cool down(usually within a half hour, they are ROCK HARD!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #10 of 10

We get alot of sea fog here, so the humidity is often high. When it's really humid, straight gumpaste melts, straight fondant takes forever to dry, and MMF sometimes never dries. icon_sad.gif Depending on the time of year, I put pieces in a room with a window A/C (don't have central A/C), or in with a room dehumidifier. A gooseneck lamp and a fan also come in handy! The problem is, when the piece is brought back into the humidity it will reabsorb the moisture.

Fondant mixed with tylose powder works best for me. I have yet to try Nic Lodge's gp recipe that is meant for high humidity, but it's on my to do list!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%