Clay Gun Recommendations

Decorating By artscallion Updated 25 May 2009 , 3:34am by Cakepro

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #31 of 65

I have one of those terrible extruder that you need to push, and I find that the best way is to put your fondant in the microwave for a few seconds until it is very soft and then insert into the extruder and you will find it works this way.

I saw a lady using one that was great in a video in "Yummy arts" it sort of has a level that you pump up once and the fondant comes out easily and you don't have to be twisting. I would like to get one of those but I don't have a subscription to this cake site, so I can't find out. has anyone ever seem that one?

Please let me know if you know what I am talking about.

Lomikesa

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #32 of 65

I've got the small silver extruder from Micheals, yep its hard to use I had to add a lot of extra glycerin to the fondant and use crisco in the barrell good luck can't wait to get the green one

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #33 of 65

lomikesa,
I think the one you are talking about you can find here sugaredproduction.com and go into her fondant dvd and then go under tools. It is the cheapest there and hers is $45.00 I think.
HTH

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbakes

: ) I probably heard that "rumor" from YOU on a thread here!

That's pretty unfortunate. Maybe someone selling on ebay would be willing to parcel theirs out in parts?

Right about the twisting v. squeezing thing. Makin's green one has a super-easy vice-type twisting end.

Just wondering...when you're making a LONG rope (like, to wrap around the base of a 10" round) how do you position the extruder as you crank it out? Parallel to the table, and just move it around the work surface to avoid sticking? I was having some sticking issues when I used the 3-hole disc and the strands were falling onto eachother.

[/quote]

I just bought another one. They're inexpensive when you use a coupon at Hobby Lobby, and if I ever need to get two of them cranking at once, I can. Hubby is good at using the extruder! icon_biggrin.gif

If your strands are sticking to each other, they are probably too soft/moist. I use a 50/50 blend of Nick Lodge GP and Wilton fondant, and don't have sticking issues. I just twist the whole amount out and then get to work. As it sits, it dries a bit, which is perfect for working with it without it tearing/sticking/etc. You can dust your area with some cornstarch if you need to separate out strands that are sticky. icon_smile.gif

lomikesa Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodts

lomikesa,
I think the one you are talking about you can find here sugaredproduction.com and go into her fondant dvd and then go under tools. It is the cheapest there and hers is $45.00 I think.
HTH

Thanks Srodts,

I am going to look it up at Sugaredproductions.com to order.

Lomikesa

lomikesa Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #36 of 65

Well Srodts
I went to Sugar Ed Productions and they are sold out! I guess some people here beat me to it.

I will keep an eye for it.

Lomikesa

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #37 of 65

on the green one just watch out cause the green paint comes off. i got a green metal splinter from it from around the threads.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #38 of 65

sorry to butt in but how do you get the fondant to come out smooth? I use the green makin extruder and when I make rope, hair or anything, the fondant always comes out with furry ragged sides. How can I get it to be smooth? I've tried adding shortening, glycerin and even using a 50-50 mix of fondant and gumpaste but no luck. Still furry.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

sorry to butt in but how do you get the fondant to come out smooth? I use the green makin extruder and when I make rope, hair or anything, the fondant always comes out with furry ragged sides. How can I get it to be smooth? I've tried adding shortening, glycerin and even using a 50-50 mix of fondant and gumpaste but no luck. Still furry.

I have the same problem so I'll look forward to hearing a solution too!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #40 of 65

jennifermi has a huge one she uses in her DVD. I've sent her an email to see where she got it and I'll post it when I receive a reply.

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #41 of 65

Here's the link to big clay gun that jennifermi has and I can't wait to get it. I have the one like sugarshack uses but it's way too much work for such little results. www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm With this one you can make ropes big enough to go all the way around your cake. Jennifer did say to soften your fondant a little in the microwave before putting into the gun. You can also use the little discs inside this one of top of the disc with big hole to get different designs.

Edited to add: I just checked it out and it's on sale right now for $39 (20% off) which is cheaper then the sugar craft gun.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #42 of 65

I have the Makins also and love it. Just add crisco to your fondant and it goes through great.

Kel1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel1222 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

Likewise. I just bought the green Makin at the Maryland Show after hearing so many people rave about it. I was so excited to play with it when I got home. It was so hard to turn the lever and it left marks on my hand. I had to nuke the fondant til it was super soft for it to even come out. By the time I got to the next hunk, it had cooled a bit and I had to re-nuke it. I was really bummed! I will try rubbing a bit of crisco on it, and any other suggestions are appreciated!!

Kelly

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #44 of 65

After reading some of the responses about clay guns, I finally found the Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay extruder. I purchased it at Hobby Lobby and it came with 20 discs. It was $25.00.

I sure hope I purchased the right one!! Anyone got any suggestions??

Thanks
Rhonda

Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #45 of 65

Yes, Rhonda, you got the right one. icon_smile.gif

lomikesa Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Here's the link to big clay gun that jennifermi has and I can't wait to get it. I have the one like sugarshack uses but it's way too much work for such little results. www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm With this one you can make ropes big enough to go all the way around your cake. Jennifer did say to soften your fondant a little in the microwave before putting into the gun. You can also use the little discs inside this one of top of the disc with big hole to get different designs.

Edited to add: I just checked it out and it's on sale right now for $39 (20% off) which is cheaper then the gun.

Thanks Tiggy!

I just ordered it the extruder, can wait to get it.

Lomikesa

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #47 of 65

You will LUV that big bazooka!!!! It's the bomb!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #48 of 65

I just bought the Makin at Hobby Lobby.They have a set of extra or replacement discs for anyone that is interested.

I cant wait to use it!!!!!

Cakepro Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiegas

I just bought the Makin at Hobby Lobby.They have a set of extra or replacement discs for anyone that is interested.

I cant wait to use it!!!!!

The 2nd set of discs is entirely different from the discs that come with the Makin's Ultimate extruder.

Makin's does not sell the discs that come with the extruder in a separate set or package.

I contacted the company directly to inquire about this after I lost two of my discs, and they gave me that information. I had to buy a 2nd extruder to replace the 2 lost discs.

So take care of your discs, people! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

You will LUV that big bazooka!!!! It's the bomb!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

I just ordered that bad boy and can't wait to get it icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the info Jen!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #51 of 65

This is great information, thank you to all!
I have a question though...does anyone knows if using the Makins' clay extruder you can do a single rope to go around your cake (let's say 10' size) without the rope breaking??
I have a clay gun (paid too much through Ebay) and it only takes small pieces of fondant at a time...so, when I tried to do a rope around my cake it came in pieces icon_smile.gif ....how do you go around your cake withouth breaking??
Ok, thank you again!!

tiggy2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

I have a question though...does anyone knows if using the Makins' clay extruder you can do a single rope to go around your cake (let's say 10' size) without the rope breaking??
I have a clay gun (paid too much through Ebay) and it only takes small pieces of fondant at a time...so, when I tried to do a rope around my cake it came in pieces icon_smile.gif ....how do you go around your cake withouth breaking??
Ok, thank you again!!

No, it will only make small pieces of rope, that's why I ordered the large one Jennifer recommended. With that big guy you can make one big enough to go around any cake. thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #53 of 65

Thank you for your answer Tiggy2!

Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:40am
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Ok, thank you again!!

Whether a single rope will go around your 10" cake or not depends on the size of the rope you are extruding. If you use the third-smallest hole disc that comes with the Makin's extruder, then yes, it will. You can get some amazingly long pieces of rope! If you do several ropes and twist it together, it makes a beautiful rope border. I have never needed to add any shortening to my fondant when I use the Makin's extruder, but others recommend doing so if your fondant is dry. icon_smile.gif

I have the medium size clay gun that I ordered from Clay King a year or more ago and truthfully, I do not like it. You may find that you love it, though!

Rosie2 Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #55 of 65

Thank you for all your help Cakepro!! and you're right I've seen some beautiful rope borders here in CC...

I'd like to try that big, long extruder but it's, kind of, pricey and what if I don't like it, huh?

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #56 of 65

We have the green one and while it does a fine job, it is a pain to load and turn steadily to get the fondant out. We are now looking for a larger one with a trigger mechanism.

tiggy2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #57 of 65

The larger one I ordered is like the one Duff uses on AOC. If that's what you are looking for the link is on the 1st page of this thread.

lomikesa Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #58 of 65

Well I gut my Big Bazooka, boy is it big! I can't wait to use it.

Thanks Jennifer

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #59 of 65

I use the Sugarcraft. Great gun, more costly than Makin.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #60 of 65

I have the green Makin and I do like it but I did order the "Big Bazooka" that Jennifer likes. I got it this week and it truly is a whooper but it looks like it will be easy to use and I will get the long ropes like I want. It is just sitting there staring at me begging to be used!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%