How Much Buttercream Does It Take For A Large Cupcake Order?

Baking By Suzycakes Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 11:13am by bbmom

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hello CCCC friends! I have searched the CC boards, done a regular search and I cannot find an answer to my question.

I have my first cupcake wedding cake for this weekend - 34 dozen cupcakes (around 400 cuppies). The bride wants a simple swirl of icing on top of each cupcake - nothing fancy.

Does anyone have any idea how many batches of buttercream I will need for these cupcakes? I use Sugarshacks buttercream recipe for the 5 1/2 qt mixer, and I know if I am icing a regular wedding cake to serve 400 - then I need at least 3 batches of icing. What I don't know is how will this compare to a simple swirl on the cuppies?

I am planning on icing the cuppies once I arrive at the reception site, putting the extras in cupcake liners and bakery boxes to store for the servers to refill the tower with and then fill the tower too. So I need to have plenty of icing with me.

Any ideas or comments?? Thanks for your time and help in advance!!

Suzycakes

8 replies
SugarHighBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighBakery Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 9

I say a ton will do icon_smile.gif Seriously I find I go through a LOT more icing on cupcakes when they are piped vs. when I spread it on with a knife. May I also suggest having multiple piping bags all filled so you can move from one to the next and refill the bags all at once rather than having to refill one bag so often...might help the process go quicker. icon_smile.gif
Good Luck

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 9

I always find that I need more icing to ice cupcakes with a swirl than I do to ice a cake that feeds the same amount... But I can't say I've ever done anything even close to 400 cupcakes at once! Good luck, and I hope someone has an answer for you...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 9

agree you'll use more icing on cupcakes than you do on just icing a cake.

Have you made cupcakes before? Do you recall how many cupcakes you iced out of a single batch? If so, you can do the math to get an idea.

I'm not going to be much help because I just keep pounds and pounds of icing on hand, or if I have to make icing, I make it in 10-15 pound batches and store the leftover. So I've no idea how many batches it takes.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 9

We do our swirls with an Ateco 825 tip ( Wilton's 1Ms big brother) It takes about 2 oz of icing per cupcake.

Suzycakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone for the replies. My gut told me it would take more icing - but I just wanted someone else to confirm it! I have made a few dozen cupcakes before - but I honestly cannot remember how much icing I used.

I am going to have several bags loaded and ready to go and will have some great help with me to complete the icing task - hopefully in a timely manner!

I am sort of excited to be doing a wedding cake and not having to 'stress' about being perfectly level tops and straight sides!!LOL!!

Thanks again - ya'll have a great day!

Suze

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 9

When I make cupcakes, one cake recipe makes 24 cupcakes and I make one batch of icing (2 lb. powdered sugar).

Suzycakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:48am
post #8 of 9

Thanks Jean -- I think I will have to up my number of batches higher than I already have!!

Suze

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:13am
post #9 of 9

I agree with BCJean when I do 2dz cupcakes it takes almost a whole batch of bc but I do a pretty good sized swirl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%