Fondant Quilter/diamond Cutter?

Decorating By blackice Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 5:52am by Coral3

blackice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blackice Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 4

I want to invest in the fondant quilter, what is your fav? Is there one better than others? I've seen ones that are 3 diamonds connected or separate which works best? Thanks in advance.

3 replies
RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 4

I bought the 3 diamond pattern cutter and it doesn't work. The patterns don't line up, there's always a space between your first impression and your last. I think it was a total waste of money.

I prefer to mark the cake all the way around the top and bottom, then connect the lines diagonally with a ruler and mark them with the fondant embossing wheel. Once the patter is all laid out, I go over it again with the sharp fondant tool to deepen and soften the lines to give it that quilted look.

Takes a bit longer to do, but it comes out perfect every time. Not so with that diamond cutter or individual diamonds...

lovinlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinlayers Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:21am
post #3 of 4

I really want to try this. I bought a mat, but need a wheel.
Wish me luck!

Here is a video I found.
http://blip.tv/shopcountrykitchencom/quilting-tools-4255232

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:52am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

I bought the 3 diamond pattern cutter and it doesn't work. The patterns don't line up, there's always a space between your first impression and your last. I think it was a total waste of money.

Whether the last impression lines up with the first at the back of the cake would depend on the circumference of the cake though wouldn't it. Most cakes end up having a 'back' anyway...well at least mine do icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%