Turntable - Recommendations

Decorating By dberck Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm by dberck

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 11

I believe a turntable is in my future as a Mother's Day present..the one I have now is a plastic Wilton that just sits about an inch off the counter...just wondering which one is the best. I saw one at Michaels by Wilton that tilts and one that doesn't..anyone have recommendations on these or is there another brand I should check out?

10 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 11

Whatever you do.....DO NOT BUY THE CRAPPY WILTON ONE THAT TILTS! I have it and hate it!

When the times comes for me to purchase another one, I'm going with a metal, heavy duty one!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 11

I use a lazy susan. It has a larger work surface and in turn I can put larger cakes on it.
The tilting ones kinda freak me out, cause I can see a cake ending up on the counter/floor but I'm kinda a spaz! icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't it nice to receive cake stuff for gifts thumbs_up.gif !!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 11

Here is the thread on the turntable topic. Not very long, but interesting.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6313491-.html#6313491

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 11

I was going to buy a new one and my DH said he could make one for me! Isn't he the sweetest! (or he saw the price) LOL!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 11

I have the Wilton heavy duty one and it's ok (a little wobbly) but I just got a Fat Daddio turntable (heavy duty) and it's so much nicer then the Wilton one. I haven't heard anything good about the Wilton tilting turntable.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 11

I have a turntable that is made of particle board and covered with formica. It has a round surface on one side and a large rectangular surface on the other side. It is the best because it can be used for round cakes and sheet cakes. And it is very heavy so it doesn't move at all. I got it at Campbell's Cake and Candy Supply in York, PA. They don't have a web site, but if you google it you can get their address and phone number. Very much worth looking into.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 11

I have a metal cake stand that I love, But i just found this new stand called "The Cake Wheel". When I decide to buy a new turntable this is the one I am going to buy. Its on the expensive side but has enterchangable tables for the different size cakes. Here is the link to check it out. http://www.thecakewheel.com/products.html

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 11

The cake wheel does look interesting...I especially like the sheet cake base...hmmm thanks for posting I might look into buying one of those!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 11

You can turn a round turntable into one for a sheet cake by putting a sheet cak pan on top of it up side down icon_smile.gif

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for the input...I think I'll investigate the others instead of going with the Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%