Fondant Thickness?

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm by brincess_b

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 2

I frequent this message board and don't recall a thread on this. Maybe it is in a tutorial. I can't seem to get the search function to work just right so any help or links will be appreciated. I read on a few food sites that to cover a cake in fondant, you should roll your fondant out to 1/4 inch thick. I recall from the Wilton class that the fondant was supposed to be pretty thin. As I look at 1/4 inch on my ruler, that sure does seem thick to me. Does anyone actually measure or use those rolling pin guides and if so, how thick do you roll it out? Or does everyone pretty much eyeball it? I am fairly new to fondant. Thanks!

1 reply
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 2

i forget the measurements everyone else has given (there are actually quite a few posts out there), but it is a huge range. some people like it really thin, some people like it a lot thicker, and a lot of people are all over the middle! i would say most people go for thinner than 1/4 inch, thats a lot of fondant!
id say, it depends how you find it to work, can you manage it better thin, thich or somewhere in the middle? and if you like eating it, then maybe you would want it thicker too. its entirely up to you!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%