Popular Flavors???

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm by messy_chef

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

Hello, I've been set up to legally sell cakes out of my home for quite some time but I just haven't had the time to try out some new recipes...

I don't want to start out with a whole list full of different cake flavors and such but I do want to offer more than just the chocolate, yellow and regular buttercream filling/icing.

So I was wondering if you had to chose about 5 each of your most popular (1)cake flavors, (2)fillings, and type/flavor of (3)buttercream/icings what would they be?

Sorry this might be a long list but I've experienced more decorating than I have actually baking cakes of different flavors and using fillings besides BC.

I am just trying to add some variety to my flavor options but with the best recipes or ideas.

Hope someone is willing to share some ideas.
Thank you!!

9 replies
JaneDee Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 10

Oh I forgot to mention, unless you use a recipe thats posted here on CC I'm not asking that you give me your secret recipes lol just the types of flavors. I can find and try out recipes for that flavor if it's not shared on the post.

I just really want to expand my options while keeping the best taste and texture/moistness etc... within the cakes.

I'm probably not even making sense anymore lol sorry I ramble.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:28am
post #3 of 10

search on here for a thread called Gourmet Flavors or something containing that phrase...that thread was amazing.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:54am
post #4 of 10

most of the business people have found that the most popular flavours are just vanilla and chocolate. people are traditional! i love classic victoria sponge, with bc and jam icon_smile.gif
personally i love carrot cake. made a great orange bc which has been popular icon_smile.gif
cant beat a coffee chocolate combo. either flavour as sponge, witht eh opposite as bc.
lemon cake icon_smile.gif one day i will try a curd type filling.
xx

JaneDee Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:18am
post #5 of 10

Okay yeah I guess most people who have ordered from me have kept it pretty traditional without even asking for extra flavors. I think I'll have to try a recipe for a coffee and chocolate combo of some kind and probably hmm lemon. I don't like lemon or coconut but maybe I'll try a few recipes out for those and see how my family likes them. I think they like those flavors.

Well I will definitely check out that thread after work today!

I can't wait to try some new flavors, I just need to really set aside the time to do so or I'll never get to it! lol

Thank you ladies so much. icon_smile.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:35am
post #6 of 10

You better set aside a lot of time for the Gourmet Flavors, that has to be one of the biggest threads ever posted here. It is mind boggling.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 10

WASC is my most popular flavor of cake for weddings, and red velvet (I use Chef Stef's recipe from here) has been requested a lot lately.

Devil's food and Vanilla (WASC w/o the almond) are my most popular for birthdays.

IMO you need to find a good versitle pound cake recipe. I have one posted in the recipe section if you'd like to try it. It is very basic.

The only icings I ever use are cream cheese buttercream, vanilla buttercream, and milk chocolate buttercream.

I rarely use fondant, but when I do it is MMF.

People in my area aren't used to fillings either, so I haven't done a lot of them. I do get more requests for strawberry filling than any other, but again it is not very often.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 10

I use my chocolate and vanilla (or yellow) cake recipes as a base and then add to them. For example, stir in chocolate chunks, poppy seeds, strawberry puree, or raspberry puree. I can use thinned caramel in my chocolate recipe, and lemon zest in my white recipe. That for me is the best way to increase my list without giving me a headache. I also offer pistachio, italian cream, banana nut and carrot, which are separate recipes, but still very similar so I don't have to have like 6000 ingredients floating around.
For icings w/celebration cakes, I offer buttercream, cream cheese and whipped icing, which really covers it for my area. For weddings, I also off italian meringue buttercream and fondant.
For fillings, I like to add pudding mixes to whip cream (white chocolate, chocolate and vanilla), or I make my own strawberry, Rasp, lemon curd, etc. Or I've heard of people using the whipped icing and then stirring things in- oreos, strawberries, etc.
Hope that helps! That's so cool that you're wanting to branch out! You'll be able to raise your prices too!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 10

here are mine;

obviously chocolate & vanilla with any # of flavour combos
white chocolate & strawberry
lemon & raspberry (or blueberry is nice too)
chocolate & peanut butter

hth

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 10

My most popular cake flavors are french vanilla, chocolate, almond, and lemon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%