How Do I Harden Fondant Quickly??

Decorating By buggus Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm by kathie-d

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 6

I had to make a bunch of roses last minute for a cake I'm putting together tomorrow and want to know how I can harden the fondant quickly. Can I use a hairdryer on cool setting??

5 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 6

I would set a fan in front of them turned on high and leave it running all night. You could not run a blow dryer long enough to get the job done!

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #3 of 6

We used to harden dough ornaments in the oven when I was a kid. I don't know if fondant would respond the same way, but we used a very low setting on the oven, around 200 degrees I think and put the ornaments in on cookie sheets. again I am not sure it would translate to fondant, but maybe some of the experts will know.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 6

The 200 degrees in the oven will definitely melt your fondant. Do you by any chance have a dehydrator? Those work fantastic but if not, the fan is your best bet, I think.

stayshoonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stayshoonka Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

Made a cowboy hat... (last min cake) tried and tried and tried to make the ends bend up. I put it in the oven for a half an hour... worked like a charm. (on the 2nd attempt) I think I set the oven on warm, maybe a little higher. Watched it like a hawk. If you set it too high it will start bubbling.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 6

I would just add tylose or gumpaste to it...will be dry over night if not sooner.I tried the oven thing once and it didn't turn out so well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%