Pblems With N. Lodge Gumpaste..question

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm by Cakepro

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 28

Well, i finally made a batch of gumpaste last night using nicholas lodges recipe. i was surprized how easy it was to make, and really liked the way it looked. I didn't even need to add the cup of sugar you reserve at the beginning of the recipe. I went to use it tonight and am very frustrated. It seemed to roll out nicely, if it began to stick a bit i would add a bit of powdered sugar but here is my problem...when working with it, it seemed to develop a skin really quickly. Eg..i was trying to make a calla lilly and by the time i got to wrapping it around my mold and trying to curl the edges a bit like tonedna shows on her video the darn thing was starting to crack in spots. UGH icon_smile.gificon_cry.gif I didn't even get the edges as thin as i wanted because i could see it was starting to dry, i didn't spend alot of time either. Am i doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this problem. I know you have to work fast with gumpaste, but if i have to go any faster it would be impossible for me. Plus i found that it didn't 'stretch' as much as i wanted when trying to thin the edges.perhaps because it was too dry. HELP!
I'm really trying to have patience with this gumpaste flower stuff but this is the third time this week i've attempted to work with gumpaste of some sort and it fail. My dining table is a mess and i have nothing to show for it. I made some more rose bases, and hope to work more with it tomorrow. If it doesn't work tomorrow, i may just have to throw in the towel until i can take a class in the fall. I don't think i can take much more of this.

Also..OT a bit...I made his gum glue recipe. I actually halved it. Is it suppose to be runny like water? OR thicker like actual glue?

One more question...should i be worried about putting these flowers on a cake since it has raw egg whites in it? I worry about the very young and old being exposed to salmonella.

HELP! icon_cry.gif

27 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 28

First of all, did you refrigerate double wrapped overnight or 24 hours? Secondly did you remember to re-activate the paste with shortening before you rolled it out for your flowers? It's really important to add the small amount of shortening each and every time you start to use a piece of paste, small amount just kind of a dab on your fingertip. Remember to store in frig between uses.

As for the glue it is a thin consistency not thick...I prefer to use egg white though.

Actually no gum paste flowers should be eaten. They are not intended to be and you should remind people buying the cake of that fact. I do not think anybody would get sick, but gum paste products are not really for consumption - wires, stamens, etc. Good luck and don't give up because Nic's gum paste is really the best IMHO icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #3 of 28

Nick's gumpaste is the only gumpaste I use, but I mix it evenly with Wilton fondant. This is called 50/50. 50/50 gives you a longer work time, rolls out just as thinly, and dries stronger than straight gumpaste. It's all I use for flowers these days. icon_smile.gif

Chin up! Don't give up. Try the 50/50. I think it will be exactly what you need.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:56am
post #4 of 28

I find I have to use a good bit less PS than the recipe calls for, or it is way too dry and hard.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:26am
post #5 of 28

yes def less sugar!
Also
What I found works is to dip one end in some water, put some shortening on your hands and then work it through. It becomes very smooth and pliable and doesnt dry as fast
HTH

sweetcravings Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:20am
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

First of all, did you refrigerate double wrapped overnight or 24 hours? Secondly did you remember to re-activate the paste with shortening before you rolled it out for your flowers? It's really important to add the small amount of shortening each and every time you start to use a piece of paste, small amount just kind of a dab on your fingertip. Remember to store in frig between uses.

As for the glue it is a thin consistency not thick...I prefer to use egg white though.

Actually no gum paste flowers should be eaten. They are not intended to be and you should remind people buying the cake of that fact. I do not think anybody would get sick, but gum paste products are not really for consumption - wires, stamens, etc. Good luck and don't give up because Nic's gum paste is really the best IMHO icon_smile.gif

Thanks...I did let it rest the 24 hrs..but i didn't know i had to add the shortening. Perhaps that's where i went wrong. I'm gonna give that a try and see what happens today.

Thank you for all the great info too. thumbs_up.gif

sweetcravings Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:21am
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

yes def less sugar!
Also
What I found works is to dip one end in some water, put some shortening on your hands and then work it through. It becomes very smooth and pliable and doesnt dry as fast
HTH

When you say 'dip one end' in some water..do you mean of the gumpaste?

sweetcravings Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #8 of 28

Cake pro..if the shortening doesn't work..i'll give the 50/50 a try. At this point i have nothing to loose. Thanks

Suz

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 28

If you are not happy with Nic's recipe, keep trying different gumpastes until you find one that suits you! Making gumpaste flowers and figures is very rewarding, but everyone has their preference. It took me a while to come up with my preferred blend of different gum powders!

Good luck with it...I agree with adding water and shortening as needed. And kneading it well and resting before use.

icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:15pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

When you say 'dip one end' in some water..do you mean of the gumpaste?

sorry I wasnt clear icon_smile.gif I roll the piece that Im going to use into a sausage and then dip about 1/3 of it in water. I then add shortening to my hands and work the paste until its pliable.
I tend to do it to the piece that I currently work on not the whole batch at once. Hope this makes sense!

lorijom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 28

I agree with the previous posters that each person has to work with various "recipes" of gumpaste until they find what works for them. My favorite is Nic's and I use it straight and now that I think of it I probably don't add as much ps as called for. A lot depends on the warmth of your hands, the humidity in your area and how you work with the gum paste. Try different brands and combinations until you come up with what works for you.

Cakepro Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Cake pro..if the shortening doesn't work..i'll give the 50/50 a try. At this point i have nothing to loose. Thanks

Suz

If you have not added too much powdered sugar, then the gumpaste will work without the shortening. That's how I made it the first couple of times. icon_biggrin.gif Ooops!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #13 of 28

I use Nics recipe in my classes all the time. I only add about 5 1/2 c. of sugar. I've done this in all climates, too. Humid and not humid. I also add the shortening right after I add the tylose. Makes the job much neater icon_smile.gif

You always can add more sugar...but taking it out is difficult.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #14 of 28

Jen, do you add the shortening to the mixer bowl and let the mixer mix it in, or knead it in by hand?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #15 of 28

Add the shortening right after the tylose, let the mixer do that for you icon_smile.gif

MUCH neater!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #16 of 28

Cool beans ~ I will do that next time! Thx!

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #17 of 28

You're welcome Sherri!

(((hugs))) to you!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #18 of 28

Awww! Image I can't wait to take your class when you come back to Cotton Eyed Joe land in the fall. icon_smile.gif

lorijom Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #19 of 28

I don't know if we're all talking about the same shortening. I add the shortening called for in the recipe at the time I mix in all the ingredients. I also add a small amount on my fingertip when I start to work with each piece. I can't remember if the recipe calls for that...but I took a few classes with Nic and he teaches it that way. He calls it re-activating the paste. I find it works wonderfully.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #20 of 28

I usually only use the shortening as I needed more so it doesnt stick to my hands. As for the gumpaste drying to fast, some people I know add 10 tbls of tylose instead of 12. Some people add less sugar.
Recipe will change accordingly to humidity in your house. You will need to adjust as you find what works for you. Don't despair, practice will make better..
Edna

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:29am
post #21 of 28

I find if I add the lesser sugar.... you really don't need to knead in any shortening when first using the gp (out of the frig) The recipe I have for Nic calls for the shortening to be added when you put it out on the table to knead it. I just found it's easier to throw that in the bowl at the end of mixing...

Jen icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #22 of 28

Backup Batman....shortening...what shortening in the recipe??? icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif I didn't add any at all. Just the tiny bit to my hands before working with it like you suggested.

Lightbulb moment!!!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
...that's my problem... i dunno how i missed reading that part of the recipe but i forgot to mix in the shortening in.. No wonder it was too dry. I feel sooo stupid.

So now that i have this batch of gumpaste mixed without the shortening in my fridge, is it too late to add it in now via mixer?

I guess it's time to go get the eye glass prescription filled. icon_redface.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #23 of 28

This is from Nicholas Lodge's website -- "Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste."

The recipe calls for 4 t, but I didn't use nearly that much on my hands when I was kneading. Of course, my gp is still sitting in the fridge because I didn't end up using it so I don't know if it is workable or not.

Jen, do you add the full 4 t when you are mixing?

This was so easy to make that I'm wondering why I haven't ever done it before. Maybe now I will use some of those cutters and veiners I bought when I took NL's class in Austin. Hoping to make it to Cake Camp and get two more days with him.

thanks,
Martha

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #24 of 28

I will have to try NL recipe, I made the wilton recipe using the gum tex powder and hated it, it was too soft and would tear and rip when I tried to ruffle the edge of my iris's. I ended up going and buying some of the wilton premade stuff cause I had been playing with it and knew that it would work. Any suggestions on using the wilton gum tex since I have a whole container of it???? icon_confused.gificon_razz.gif

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #25 of 28

I throw the 4 t. in at the very end of the mixing...right after the tylose.

My recipe calls for 4 t.... before, I would knead the 4 t. in on the table. Maybe his recipe has changed?

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #26 of 28

I asked Nick myself about the shortening in the recipe ~ as to whether the 4 teaspoons (not Tbsp) was to knead into the paste during the making of it, or just for placing some on our hands while kneading it. He said the entire amount gets kneaded into the paste.

The first batch or two I made was without shortening (accidental omission) and it worked just fine.

I just made a double batch on Monday so I won't need any for awhile, but the next time I make it I'm going to let the mixer mix it in as Jen does.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #27 of 28

How nice to be able to go to the source with questions! I know I didn't add anywhere near 4 t when I made my gp - probably not even 1 t. Do you think I should go ahead and knead it in now or just plan to add it as I use the gp? It has been in the fridge for a couple of weeks without being unwrapped.

Thanks Sherri and Jen,

Martha

Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #28 of 28

I think you should just use a small amount to re-activate it whenever you cut off a piece to work with. icon_smile.gif

I asked him because his instructions (to me) were kind of oddly written. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%