How To Say No Gracefully!?

Decorating By julzs71 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm by springlakecake

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 69

I had a woman last week ask me to make an anniversary cake for her for free. I in turn replied I would, but you have to pay for the supplies. Which would come up to 25- 30 dollars. She said no she didn't have the funds for it. (Like I've got money laying around the damn house) I told her I was moving 1500 miles away and didn't have the funds to spare for a cake.
First off she is just an acquaintance. She came over the day my husband left for Iraq, spreading the word of Jehovah. I was a darn mess! It was the first time he's been there. Anyway, I think the lady that was with her felt uncomfortable and volunteered to pay me.
So, I'm thinking of all the ways to say no.

#1 No, I'm moving.
#2 No, I won't do this for free. You can pay for supplies.
#3 Sure, but Satin is making the icing.

What else can you think of, so when we get asked to make a free cake, how to say NO!? I am usually stunned by the person asking.

68 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 69

You said you told her you were moving and didn't have the spare funds, what was her response? It's still in question??

Really, this one shouldn't be too hard to turn down...she really has some nerve asking anyone to do anything for free.

"The move is taking up all of my time and I'm currently not making any cakes right now. Sorry and happy marriage life." icon_wink.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 69

ditto what ironbaker said

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 69

Good grief, she still expects you to make it? You said no didnt you, for reasons stated above...ok well I dont think you told her about Satan,tee hee. YOu said you'd make it if she pays for supplies, she said she didnt have $, so no supplies, cant make cake. where's the "easy" button?

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 69

She should be making you a damn cake, not her asking for a free cake. 1st off from one military wife to another, THANK YOU! And my heart goes out to you. 2nd, you need to get yourself taken care of, it's an adjustment when our husbands leave, and you need to adjust, you also need to find busy work to keep from going crazy, but that doesnt mean she gets a free cake. JUST SAY NO! You dont need to give her a reason, NO means NO!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 69

FREE what does that mean,............... I no speaky english.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 69

I still like the one about satan in the icing icon_lol.gif

But really, what everyone one else has said. Just straight out no, I can't. I don't have the funds to make a free cake just like you don't have the money to pay for the supplies. Can she say box cake mix and canned icing?????

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 69

Some people are just plain "IDIOTS" You told her in a gracious manner...and besides like chassidyg said....you don't owe her an explanation of any kind.

and THANK YOU to your husband and you.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

You dont need to give her a reason, NO means NO!

What she said! If she isnt willing to pay for the ingredients which is $25-$30, then nope sorry I just dont have the spare funds, and no excuse is necessary. Where do people get off asking a baker to make something for free?? I mean seriously! Do these people go to Walmart and ask for free food just cause they cant afford it that week? Do they go to JC Penney and ask for free clothes cause there is an outfit they are dying to have and they cant afford it? NO!!

Jeez, some people need a life...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

Can she say box cake mix and canned icing?????

I'm with luv_to_decorate! She can go and buy a box mix and frosting for under $3.00.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 69

I would say to her "I am so sorry but I can not and will not make the cake for free,..... just as you do not have the funds, I to do not have the funds to were I can make a free cake".

Good Luck!
God Bless,
Sharon

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

She said no she didn't have the funds for it. (Like I've got money laying around the damn house)

Her: "No, I can't do that ... I dont' have the funds for it."
Me: "Oh let me help you out, then. I'll just turn around and bend over to make it easier for you to pull the dollar bills out of my a$$! Because that's where I keep all of my extra money!"

Dumba$$es. dunce.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 69

I LOVE you Debi!! I swear I think we were separated at birth!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 69

Why would she even ask for a free cake? Did you make their wedding cake?

If she asks again, remind her that you are just as broke as she is, cakes take time, effort, and PG&E to bake and decorate. "I'm sorry, but I just can't." Period.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #15 of 69

You don't have the funds to buy the ingredients for your anniversary cake?
Neither do I.

simple and sweet.

mommachris

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

She said no she didn't have the funds for it. (Like I've got money laying around the damn house)

Me: "Oh let me help you out, then. I'll just turn around and bend over to make it easier for you to pull the dollar bills out of my a$$! Because that's where I keep all of my extra money!"

Dumba$$es. dunce.gif

HA HA HA HA HA!

julzs71 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #17 of 69

Oh, I stood firm and really didn't make it for free. The other lady paid for it. I really wish that lady didn't pay for it though, cause I was a bit resentful by the time I was done. The other lady dropped the money off later on in the week and even asked me if I knew her well, because she thought the free cake lady was rude and felt sorry for me. She didn't even go.
You know what made it worse is I had food poisoning while making the darn cake. I dropped it off at the venue and there is another cake there that they paid for. I was pissed. Had I known I wouldn't have made the damn thing.
Their party was at a bar and grill type place and it was buy your own food and drinks....cakes free. Hello! If you don't have money, don't throw a party.
Sorry, I just got done making the other lady's cake, because I felt bad she dished out all that money for a cake that wasn't even for her.
What I don't get is how someone can ask for free cake?

julzs71 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

She should be making you a damn cake, not her asking for a free cake. 1st off from one military wife to another, THANK YOU! And my heart goes out to you. 2nd, you need to get yourself taken care of, it's an adjustment when our husbands leave, and you need to adjust, you also need to find busy work to keep from going crazy, but that doesnt mean she gets a free cake. JUST SAY NO! You dont need to give her a reason, NO means NO!

Thank you! It is weird. The week before he left he was my fat bastard...now I cry whenever I think about my boo bear! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 69

Jamie is in a ripe rotten mood today and up to her eyeballs in dumb-dumbs...so she will be polite and not share what she would ahve said... icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #20 of 69

Damnit Debi...you always have a good comeback, I'm just too chicken sh** to say what I want to most of the time! Hahahahahaha!

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 69
Quote:

I dropped it off at the venue and there is another cake there that they paid for.

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gifthumbsdown.gif Whaaaaat? WHAT? WTF? Huh??? Oh....ok, I gotta get out of here. This isn't helping my sanity today.....God please deliver me from cake idiots today. icon_cry.gif

julzs71 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Dumba$$es. dunce.gif

Is this what you were talking about.
Ladies don't open around kids
http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/ass-no_head.jpg

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 69

Wow, some people have nerve! what part of 'NO' she don't understand??

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #24 of 69

Julz.............O.M.G.....wow...that is AWESOME!!!! Lololololol!

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #25 of 69

Tell her flat out No NO NO! WTH! Cake supplies don't grow on trees. She don't know you like that and even if she did you don't owe her anything. Tell her to go to Sam's Club or Costco and see if they give a free cake.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #26 of 69

Forgive me if someone already said this, but since when do jehovah's witnesses celebrate anniversaries?

No way would I even go NEAR this woman's cake!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #27 of 69

I don't understand why there was enough money to throw a party but not enough for the ingredients? I also don't understand why a Jehovah's witness was celebrating anything? I am not saying that to be snarky, but I thought that they didn't really celebrate things? I could be wrong, but I know there is boy in my son's grade that doesnt come to school on days they are celebrating holidays and whatnot.

I think it would have been pretty easy for me to have said "no" to this cake since they couldnt even come up with money for supplies. It is pretty nervy to ask I think.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #28 of 69

My mom is a JW and they fer sure don't celebrate many things. They do, however, have baby/bridal showers and weddings, so they just may celebrate anniversaries. Although I don't know why if they don't celebrate b-days (anniversaries if you think about it).
Maybe a Jehovah's Witness can give us a solid answer?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #29 of 69

I have had wittnesses stop by from time to time and I think they do celebrate anniversaries, because marriage was blessed by god, and then they celebrate jesus's crucifiction, I think that is all they celebrate.

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #30 of 69

That's another story. Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate when it's convienent(however u spell that word.lol). I know I have one that I'm related to but I do know they celebrate anniversaries and baby showers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%