Working Lights

Decorating By Lisa540 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm by Lisa540

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have a fire truck cake to do for a guy my hubby works with. I had an idea of including working lights but I don't even know how I would do this. Anyone have any thoughts or tips?

5 replies
Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 6

Bet you could find some small battery powered lights at a hobby shop.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Lisa, Our local dollar store (Ontario Canada) sells magnetic pins that flash different colors of light (red, blue green and yellow). It is the kind you can attach and where without putting holes in your clothing.

They work on a watch battery, and since they are magnetic you would not use the disk at the back with the magnet just the light itself. You could probably affix it with RI or edible glue.

Not to sure if it is food safe as most dollar store items here locally have had lead warnings issued (for painted wooden toys) but it may be a way to go if it is safe.

Hope this helps...Miss Lizzy

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 6

I just found at my craft store Pat Catans they sell the small rounded at the end clear bulbs for like 1.00 each or 12 for like 9.00 you could color the tips and stick them in, they blink for 12 hours it says.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 6

Perfect timing! the wedding I did Saturday night had little tiny lights secured to the stems of upside down wine glasses as the centerpiece. The entire light wasn't more than 1.5" long. The event planner said she got them at Hobby Lobby. They were AWESOME looking!!!

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much! It sounds a lot easier than I was thinking it would be. I will check into what y'all recomened in the next day or so. Cake will be in one week. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%