To Fridge Or Not To Fridge?

Decorating By mrsunknown Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm by Rylan

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:53am
post #1 of 7

BC filled with fondant icing, cause of the BC should i put it in the fridge? and if so what about the fondant?

and what about cream filled fondant covered?

this make sense? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:12am
post #2 of 7

I don't have any luck putting fondant in the fridge. Buttercream usually doesn't have to be refrigerated. I think the Wilton recipe with heavy cream says it needs to be kept in the fridge, but I know the regular Wilton recipe doesn't, and neither does Indydebi's buttercream (which you should try if you haven't yet icon_biggrin.gif )

I don't use any fillings that need refrigeration because of the fondant.

I'm interested to see what other people do, though.

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:27am
post #3 of 7

I'm also interested in this topic. Last week I made a cake which I covered in white chocolate ganche then in fondant, it looked great. But by the end of the night you could see lumps and bumps in the fondant I didn't know what went wrong, then we cut the cake and I realised that the ganche had melted under the fondant. I was so embrassed. The book where I got the receipe for the ganche said not to fridge the cake but maybe I should have.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 7

For regular buttercream you don't need to refrigerate, but for creams/custards/real mousses and other perishable fillings you do need to refrigerate it. I rarely fill with buttercream, so ALL my cakes get refrigerated, without exception, and they are almost all fondant covered.

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for your advice guys.

So Tara, your fondant is fine in the fridge? i have never tried to store a fondant cover cake in the fridge but have always been told not to, although i have never been told why lol.

I would be interested to hear what anyone else has to say!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #6 of 7

Yup... I've never had any issues from it. When the weather is VERY hot and humid, you do have to make sure that the AC is pumping before you take the cake out of the fridge (and likewise the AC in the delivery vehicle). I've never had any issues with sweating/condensation from it. I use Satin Ice for all of my cakes, if that makes a difference, although I have, on occasion, used homemade (regular, not MMF) with the same result.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 7

I never had an issue with refrigerating fondant also. I also use Satin Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%