Is It Possible To Ship A Cake?

Decorating By steph2ooon3 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm by prayful

steph2ooon3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph2ooon3 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if it is possible to ship a cake and if so how? Is there special services that do so?

6 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 7

I've read a couple of disaster stories on these forums posted by ppl who tried to ship a cake. The short answer is NO! No matter how well you wrap, pad, secure it, it's still going to be tossed, bumped, smooshed into oblivion if it goes thru the mail or FedEx/UPS. There may be a special svc that does this but I'd imagine it would cost an arm and a leg to get white-glove treatment for a cake!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 7

basically, unless you have a small fortune to spend, its not worth trying. its very hit or miss, and of course, if you miss, that is a big deal for the recipient.

you can do it, basically you want a door to door courier service, not things like fedex or the usual post. and i have read about packing it in coolers and with dry ice.

things like cookies are a safer bet for posting, they are a bit easier to jam in, but still might break. cupcakes are a bit easier to secure than cake, but u might still lose the frosting. some companies post out the cupcakes with a bag of frosting ready to be piped on.
xx

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 7

What kind of a cake are you trying to ship? I mean, if it's just a cake that tastes good but isn't decorated I'd say go for it. Omaha Steaks and several other companies sell dessert cakes that they pack in dry ice in their styro coolers. If it's anything else you'd probably have to get the counter to counter service from an airline, and that would be big bucks... I too have read several threads (Kelleym's comes to mind) about shipped cake disasters.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7

My work ships cakes, but you have to put it in the freezer for a couple days. The cake can not have any boarders or decorations and it would have to be shipped overnight. In all honesty sometimes it gets there ok and other times its damaged. Once it leaves the building its in the hands of UPS. Hope this helps.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 7

I've been in The UPS store here in my town when they've been packing a cake to ship from a bakery here in town. One in particular was a rather large wedding cake!

prayful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayful Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7

In my experience, NO!, I shipped a 2 tier bird bath cake to Iowa by UPS, wrote a lot of warnings around the box, the cake arrived to IOWA in one day, cake had to sit in their exact UPS office until the the delivery date which was after 3 days., ( i wished I use one day delivery, but too expensive). The cake was smashed, the birds got drowned in the icing.

also, I travelled 4 hours with a 2 tier topsy turvey, it was also smashed. The travel is the enemy of the cake in my opinion.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%