Figurines From Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By MissJoyce Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 12:38pm by janelwaters

MissJoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyce Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 6

I need some expert advise. I have had alot of requests for characters made with fondant/gumpaste which I might add is a challenge for me because I'm not a sculptor icon_cry.gif however I try my best. The problem I have is that no matter what I try using as a (glue) for parts and pieces ie. arms, legs etc. doesn't hold! Can someone PLEASE tell me what works for this! Can I buy something? Or make something?

Thanks,
Joyce
Cakes of Joy

5 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #2 of 6

You need to help the pieces with wooden stiks, and tothpicks
not just the glue alone

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 6

I haven't made many, but I also add toothpicks to support the figure. I did however read a post yesterday concerning that with children, which I had not thought of. If you do add the toothpicks make sure they realize they are not edible.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 6

what are you using for "glue" - you can also use pieces of uncooked (dry) spagetti to help hold on the heads, that was its edible!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 6

I always use dry spaghetti, and for my glue I use gum tex mixed in water. Wherever possible I try to pinch out the fondant from the body to form the arms instead of making seperate arms. There are times when I need to let things dry before proceeding to the next step too! HTH!! I am no expert modeler but I do think my modeling skills are improving with every request!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 6

I do mine in 3 steps - 1) bottoms and let dry overnight 2) bodies and let dry overnight with the dry spag. in and sticking out for the head 3) head and arms.

I learned from Aine2's tutorial to use tylose with water for glue - you have to make it the night before so that the tylose mixes and melts into the water. watch her tutorials on youtube - awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%