Found A New Love!

Decorating By cakesdivine Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm by CanadianChick

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 2

High ratio shortening.

Eversince Crisco changed their formula I haven't found anything that worked for my meringue based icing recipe. SO I decided to bite the bullet on the cost of high ratio(3.5 times the cost of Crisco) and see what all the chatter was about with it. icon_cool.gif

My icing took on a whole new character AND slightly improved flavor...

Who'd have thunk? icon_lol.gif

So now I have to restructure my prices to accommodate the major increase in cost to my icing, but that's ok, my icing is even better than it was before, and it was pretty amazing to begin with, just too soft with Crisco or even the other veg shortening brands to really work with, and forget about it handling this South Texas heat..Now I don't have that problem! thumbs_up.gif

1 reply
CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 2

I was VERY tempted to try some yesterday - at the cake dec shop I noticed it for the first time...

but other than some cupcakes this week, I have no cakes planned for the immediate future so I held off...

I'll have to try it next week - I know a lot of people swear by it.

(Crisco in Canada isn't transfat free yet, but it has changed - we're now getting the former US stuff made with cottonseed oil, which we never used to get - ours was mostly palm, had a very different fatty acid profile and totally different saponification value)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%