Red Fondant...

Decorating By funtasticake Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by todolomio

funtasticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtasticake Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 7

how can you make a brite red on a fondant??? i had try pink and red no taste still dark pink...help?? icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

I'd rather prefer using pre-made red fondant. It takes a lot of food coloring to get it exactly red.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 7

it's extremely difficult. I made a fondant covered lobster cake and in spite of adding and adding red to the fondant it too only would get dark pink so what I did was cover the cake with the pink fondant and then painted red mixed with alcohol all over it. It came out very nice...see my lobster on my web site but in the future I will buy red fondant and red gum paste ready made when I need it like the professionals seem to do. Hope this helps...

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 7

I remember someone telling me that the powdered food color works really well for getting the really dark colors! I havent tried it yet but hope this helps!

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #5 of 7

It is a painful colour to acheive along with black, but i have managed to sucessfully do both (not on first attempt though lol)

With both i used powdered food colouring and managed to get a fairly deep/bright red and black. I was gradually adding the food colouring to the fondant, but i would guess it probably took about 1-2 tsp of colouring.

I did find towards the end that if you add a little bit of liquid food colouring to the powdered food colouring, it seems to intensify and distribute more quickly and evenly. icon_smile.gif

I will be posting up some pics real soon and if you look at the ladybug cake......you will be able to see how the colours turned out

funtasticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtasticake Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7

thanks for all the reply..i will to do powdered food coloring...i am very new on this..could you please what do you considered powdered food coloring.. icon_redface.gificon_surprised.gif i am a very new newbie and just trying to do self teaching..i have been watching a lot of videos and studying,,,but it gets confusing...a lot of people call some products different names...once again thanks...and in advance...

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 7

well, first I use pink from wilton and then after its pretty dark I throw in some red from americolor. I actually do this two days before I need it and the color sets in really nice. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%