"eventective"...anyone Use This Service?

Business By robinscakes Updated 3 May 2009 , 4:32am by indydebi

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 9

I've been getting unsolicited emails from a company called Eventective lately. Apparently they are an event-planning search service. They send out potential leads (for example, "June 20th event for 200 attendees in Toledo, OH). If you are interested in the lead, they charge $2.50 to look into it, and then you find out the details about the people planning the event and what services they'd like. Supposedly they will credit you the $2.50 (for use on another lead in the future) if the lead doesn't work out. So far I haven't bought a lead yet, mostly because the towns listed are too far away for me to be bothered delivering cake, or for someone to bother coming all the way out to me to pick one up. I was wondering if anyone has tried this service and if it worked.

Thanks in advance.

8 replies
SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 9

I've been getting these e-mails too. They've all been for catering services though as they don't even have a category for just cake. So no, I've not bought any of them either, but I know they have been mentioned in this forum before.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 9

Same here, I have purchased a few but only one has responded back to my emails I sent to contact the "planner" I didn't know about the refund of leads that don't pan out. I'll have to go to the site and read up I guess. I think I've purchased 4 of them so far. Many I turned down because they were rediculous in their price request and/or so far in advance (one was 2 years out!) that it would be illogical to give them a quote. A few were just too small and too far away to be worth it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 9

I'm on it. It's only $2.50 if the expected headcount is under 100 people. Otherwise, it's $5.00.

I've never heard of getting the money back if it pans out, though. That's either new, or it's news to me! icon_confused.gif

The site is primarily geared toward helping people find a facility to hold their meeting/reception. I have declined many of the leads and sent back a reason such as "Bride is checking a specific location. No idea if outside caterers are permitted. Not paying $5 to find out "no"."

It's aggravating that when the bride/client fills out the lead request form, that they ask for "catering info" but I've no idea what facility they are looking into and if I would be permitted to come in with my catering. I have mentioned that to Eventective.

I just declined one today citing, "Cannot discuss realistic pricing for 2012 when pricing will change at least twice between now and their event."

I also decline the ones that ask for "break out rooms" for meetings, or blocks of rooms, or other large-hotel-like amenities. This tells me they are NOT looking for the local independent venue where I would be able to do the catering. They are looking for a one-stop-shop large hotel.

Again ... the site is geared more toward a facility search and "oh yeah by the way we might be able to find you some other vendors, too."

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 9

Somehow I got on their list too. I have not been able to a find a way to stop getting them...

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 9

I am on it, and it's been effective for me. You don't get a refund if you purchase a lead and don't get the order. It's just that - a lead. You contact the bride and give her your pitch. It's not a guaranteed sale.

You complete a profile with information about what you do, then pay as little as $25 to put into your account to pay for the leads. It seemed like a very small investment, so I thought I'd try it. The caterer I work with a lot recommended it.

I have also declined to purchase some leads. They give you enough information that you can sometimes do that. I just had one that wanted a square custom designed cake for 175 for $200-300. I'm not going to pay for a lead and then struggle with a bride to convince her she's going to have to pay a lot more than that for what she wants. That's just exhausting!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 9

This is the quote that they send with their potential leads:

Eventective No-Risk Guarantee: If a lead from Eventective proves to be invalid, we will refund 100% of our fee as a credit for future lead purchases.

I have no idea what "invalid" means. Does it mean that the lead doesn't truly exist or that the clients really don't need a baker? Who knows? It seemed a little fishy to me. I haven't really had to worry about it yet since every lead I've been emailed has been way too far away for me to be bothered with. And yes, like indydebi said, some of the leads are just so far in advance! Who can quote a price on a cake that will be made in 3 years???

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

...I have no idea what "invalid" means. Does it mean that the lead doesn't truly exist or that the clients really don't need a baker? ...

Yes, that's exactly what it means. If the contact information provided is not valid, then you just tell them and they give your money back. But it does not mean that you contact the bride, give her your prices, meet with her, whatever, and she decides to go with someone else. They're just leads.

It's only $2.50 per lead - not a lot of risk. Based on the recommendation of the caterer I work with a lot, I figured I could afford to put $25 into the account and see what it yields.

You may decide it's not worth it to you, but it's not a scam.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #9 of 9

Agree ... "invalid" means you can't contact them (bad email; bad phone number) or it turns out to be a couple of 13 year olds having fun on a website.

I got a refund once because the bride had registered twice. since I keep a spreadsheet of every inquiry I get, I had a record of when I had bought the first lead. Sent a short email to them, explained how I had purchased the same lead twice because the bride registered twice and they refunded my money. I didn't really expect them to .... I considered it a little above and beyond customer service! thumbs_up.gif

aligotmatt, if you're getting emails, that means you are signed up as a vendor on their site. If you no longer want to receive the emails, you need to contact them and work with them to remove you from their site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%