Gumpaste Tiara Help!

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make a gumpaste tiara for the first time. I am following Sharon Zambito's tutorial, however I am trying to make a tiara that is not one solid piece. I used a clay extruder to make long snakes of gumpaste, which I bent into different shapes and glued together onto the sheet of waxed paper. However, it won't hold it's shape as I try to move it to the coffee can I'm using as a mold for it's round shape. Any suggestions? It also isn't sticking to the waxed paper on the coffee can very well, even though I put a thin layer of shortening on it. I'm not sure what else to do.

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure about what to do to hold its shape but in my experience, I use parchment paper and then use edible glue to stick the gumpaste onto the parchment paper. When it dries, the parchment paper peels off.

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 5

What did you use to glue it together with?

maybe try using just a few tiny drops of royal icing to glue to the wax paper???

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 5

I would assemble the snakes right on the can, not try to move them over. use more crisco to hold them on. it will release later.

HTH

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 5

I used a little glue I made with gumpaste and water. It's been drying for a few hours now, after I got it to finally hold it's shape on the can. I hope it stays that way! Otherwise back to square one, and next time I'll just do it right on the can. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%