Where Do I Find Us Grants For Small Business Start Up?

Decorating By chele_belle Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 2:21am by mellee

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 7

I have been wanting to open my own bakery/cake shop for a while now. I am just starting to actually look in to what it would take. I know there are grants out there for small business start ups and also for women. Does anyone know where to find these grants? The only places I have found want to send you a kit for a charge. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chele

P.S. I don't know if it helps but I am in Columbus, Ohio

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 7

They don't exist.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 7

I agree w/k8. Back when I started my shop I tried all the so-called- grant connections. Basically if you didn't want more than 100,000$$ they didn't want to talk to you! icon_sad.gif They told me to max out my credit cards etc icon_sad.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 7

I worked in this field for a number of years. Grants? Well.....they exist, but not necessarily to fund a business start-up operation, especially when your goal is to make money for yourself and not provide food for a starving third-world nation, although people HAVE found interesting ways to use grants. There ARE loans available--microloans, programs for women, etc. You can try contacting the Small Business Administration (SBA), Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), Women's Business Centers (WBC), your local community development corporation, and your local Chamber of Commerce. Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

I worked in this field for a number of years. Grants? Well.....they exist, but not necessarily to fund a business start-up operation, especially when your goal is to make money for yourself and not provide food for a starving third-world nation, although people HAVE found interesting ways to use grants. There ARE loans available--microloans, programs for women, etc. You can try contacting the Small Business Administration (SBA), Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), Women's Business Centers (WBC), your local community development corporation, and your local Chamber of Commerce. Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

Oh please. There are no loans but there are loans? Not for a cake baker like you said. Those loans are available for people who want to be entwined unmercifully with the government and gov't contracts and red tape and etc. Air castles.

Honestly, look further if you must but find other funding and save your time and energy.

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 7

Even though its not what I had hoped for, thanks for saving me the time I would have wasted looking for them. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on opening my own place I would love the input.

Thanks,
Chele

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 7

Sheesh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%