Cracked 14 In Layer...can I Still Use It?

Decorating By kathi2009 Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 1:04am by kathi2009

kathi2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathi2009 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a 3 tiered stacked square wedding cake. The tiers are 14 in, 10 inch and 6 inch.

When I was moving it off of the cooling rack, I cracked one of the 14 inch layers icon_cry.gif .....all the way thru about 4 inches in from the side....and it extend almost the full lengh of the cake.
The cake is going to be iced with all buttercream.

Can I piece that back together with bc, and still use it? Or is a safer bet just to redo??

THANKS!

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 11

Been there. Done that. It looked fine on the outside. Go for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 11

Just make sure your dowels/support are taking all the weight, and it should be fine! icon_smile.gif

BTW, where in Kansas are you? I'm in the Kansas City area.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 11

I agree--your cake will be just fine!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 11

With what you've just described,of course you can use it.Icing covers a multitude of sins, hehe.

kathi2009 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much for your expertise and your votes of confidence!!

I will use it! whew! Didn't want have to rebake that.

Hey...Millermom....I live in Topeka

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 11

Well, we're practically neighbors! lol icon_lol.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:45am
post #8 of 11

I know everyone said yes and I AM NOT saying no, but....like they said make sure the weight is on your dowls not the cake. I had one split on me and I dowled it, iced it and all and it was sitting waiting to go to its destination when my husband came and got me to tell me the back side of that bottom tier that cracked was lying on the counter top, the whole chunk broke off and fell off the cake stand. So just be careful.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 11

Not to take over the thead but hoping this question will help in the future.

HOW on earth do you move a 14 or 16 inch tier? I understand freezing it then moving it. But I don't like to freeze the cakes...Just because I have moisture bubbles when I ice every time I do. So what do you all do?
Moving thoes big layers is a challange for me.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

Not to take over the thead but hoping this question will help in the future.

HOW on earth do you move a 14 or 16 inch tier? I understand freezing it then moving it. But I don't like to freeze the cakes...Just because I have moisture bubbles when I ice every time I do. So what do you all do?
Moving thoes big layers is a challange for me.

Not sure what you mean. Moving it to decorate it? Moving it to it's final destination? I normally don't freeze unless I am carving. I use cookie sheets (the type that are all flat and one little lip on one side) to move my layers. I also use them when torting them. They will pick up that top layer and move it to where it needs to go, no bending no breaking.

As for moving after decorated. Just like any other cake. I put mine on a cake drum and let it harbor the weight. I love them because you can decorate right on them and the edges clean off easily.

kathi2009 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 11

Well.... I didn't want to take any chances on that wedding cake, so I rebaked the layer that I cracked.
I too had a hard time moving those big layers around....and learned the hard way, and ended up have to redo a layer. So, the second time I did both of the things other people suggested, I put it on a cookie sheet without a rim, and I put it in the freezer for a few hours. It was MUCH easier to handle frozen. That will be the way I do it from now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%