Crumb Coating??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm by butterfly831915

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 3

icon_biggrin.gif Hi all!!

I read some where that if you do not crumb coat your cake, your icing has "nothing" to stick to.

That does not sound correct to me? But I could be wrong.

I have iced cakes before, with no crumb coat. But my last cake the icing "slid" off the sides. I think it was a Humidity issue. But, when I read this I am second guessing myself.

I am able to ice my cakes with no crumb coat and still have NO crumbs in my icing. What about you all? Doesn't icing stick to the cake?

Thank you in advance

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 3

if your just putting bc straight onto the cake, then the more moist the cake the better it will stick. and crumbs depends on the surface of your cake, if you havent trimmed it, and its come cleanly out the pan, then it is less likely to have crumbs on the surface. (all that is my limited experience and figuring, lol)
i dont bother to crumb coat regular cakes for my family, but i do see that it would end up with a better result, i just cant be bothered, lol.
xx

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 3

I don't always crumb coat, it depends on how I am going to apply my icing. If I am using the large icing tip I usually don't crumb coat. I do crumb coat though if I see the cake if I am doing it with just a spreader though. For me better safe than sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%