Question About Chocolate Ganash... Can It Be Sweeter?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm by Deb_

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hey there! I have a question about chocolate ganash. I made it this week and I love the consistency of it and how versitile it is. But I'd rather it be a little sweeter. Every recipe that I see does not have sugar in it and uses bitter or semisweet chocolate. I tried adding sugar at the end but it didn't disolve and there's the fine crunch sensation of sugar in each bite which isn't very nice. Is there a way to get the sugar to dissolve. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my question here. Is there a recipe for a sweet one. Thanks!

5 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 6

Why not use Milk Chocolate? It's sweeter but will not give you a dark chocolate look. Just a thought!

Beth in KY

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 6

I've made it with milk chocolate. It tastes like a candy bar! If you are looking for something in between the two, you can mix dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Or, if you use a chocolate buttercream that you top with a chocolate ganache, I think it tastes much sweeter that way.

The recipe portions DO vary according to the type of chocolate. Lots of info out there to help you along.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 6

Maybe if you add some icing sugar to the cream while it's heating b4 you add to the chocolate,the heat will definitely melt the sugar.I've never tried this but it's what I would do. Or maybe use milk chocolat and then add some gel coloring to get the dark shade if that's what you want.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, you can make it sweeter! Add powdered sugar to the cream before heating it. I prefer bittersweet chocolate for ganache, but you certainly can use semi-sweet. I like my ganache to taste far better than a candy bar, so I go for the highest percentage of cocoa in the chocolate that I can get, then add a bit of PS (maybe 2 Tbl.) to mellow it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 6

The recipe I use does have sugar in it........

2 T sugar
2 T butter
1 cup heavy cream

Heat above just til it begins to boil gently, stirring occasionally to be sure sugar dissolves.

When it comes to a boil remove from heat immediately and pour over 12oz (1 bag) choc chips (any flavor you want). I use 1/2 semi and 1/2 dk choc.

Let sit 5 minutes and then stir til smooth.

It's very yummy, in fact I just got through making some. It's also really good heated on ice cream. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%