Thinkin Of Cutting Out 1/4 Sheets.........

Business By littlecake Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 1:08am by OhMyGanache

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 4

except maybe for a few party style cakes that are super fast.

they seem to clog up my schedule, and it seems like about half the people want a freaking rembrant on them...way to worky crap for small cakes....

plus they seem kinda "grocery store" to me....anyhoo i do ok on half sheets ...and it takes about the same amount of time as the 1/4...

geeze why didn't i think of this before....i think maybe the peeps who want these lil cakes NEED to go to the grocery store...i mean, i don't make cupcakes anymore because it didn't pay me enough.

i guess i'm having growing pains, i'm turning peeps away, i might as well take the bigger orders...don't slap me. i just had the epiphany today....the nicer bakeries don't do a lot of sheet cakes, do they?

anyhoo had a hard day today, so i'm just yapping....

anyone have a storefront that doesn't do many sheetcakes? detective.gif

3 replies
tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 4

I have a storefront in a downtown area, and we do not make sheet cakes of any size. I too agree that sheet cakes seem "grocery" like. We specialize in custom cakes, and I think sheet cakes look cheap.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 4

We don't do sheet cakes. I do make 9X13 and 12X 16 cakes, but they are all filled layer cakes.

We are considering doing sheet cakes in choclate or vanilla only for the local non-profits, who are always on a super tight budget but really prefer to do business with local businesses. They need to present their tax ID to get the price.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 4

I won't even do sheetcakes unless they are in addition to a wedding cake - and I call them "kitchen cakes" and they are 4" high. In my opinion, grocery stores do sheet cakes, and I want to distance myself as much as possible from the grocery stores. When you are doing the same thing as grocery store, people really don't understand why you're charging twice as much for the "same thing".

I don't do "kit cakes" either for the same reason. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%