Can I Freeze A Stacked Decorated Cake?

Decorating By SueB Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm by Deb_

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 5

I need to know if I take a stacked buttercream decorated cake to a customer can she freeze it until she needs it and how do I wrap it up to protect it in the freezer? Can it go in a big box and then I wrap it with ? to prevent freezer burn? Thanks for any advice you can share.

SueB

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 5

Sure, people have been freezing the top tier of their wedding cakes for years, so I don's see why you can't do it.

I'd instruct her to take the cake out of the box and place it in the freezer (unwrapped) and not touching anything. Allowing the icing to just become hard. (maybe 1 hr)

Take it out and triple wrap it in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. I'd then place it in a large plastic bag trying to squeeze out all the air. Put it back in the freezer and she should be good to go.

How long does she plan on freezing it for? I'd be sure to just let her know that you cannot guarantee the same fresh quality after freezing, but I'm sure it would be fine.

HTH
Deb icon_smile.gif

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 5

So glad to see this question here as I was wondering the same thing! I'm wondering too about a fondant covered stacked cake; can I freeze it?

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 5

Deb,

Thanks for your response! I assume she puts the cake back in the box and then triple wrap it and all the other stuff you mentioned. I have a family emergency that is why I have to do the cake ahead of time and she has to freeze it. It will only be in the freezer for 4 days. By the way, does she leave it all wrapped up when she takes it out and lets it defrost? Thanks again for your help!

Sue

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 5

Oh, I'm sorry about your family emergency, I hope everything turns out OK for you.

I'd probably take it out of the box and unwrap all but one layer of the plastic wrap to let it defrost.

maddiseeyore, I've personally never frozen a fondant covered cake, but I'm sure someone on here will know the answer to that for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%