Friday Night Cake Club - 4/24

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 18 May 2009 , 6:33pm by SHogg

gringa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gringa Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:12am
post #31 of 58

I know I should know this, and maybe I do, but what is SMBC again?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:13am
post #32 of 58

Ok. am done. blow out patched . easy cake design on this one, all prep work.

a blow out is when the buttercream bubbles out away from the cake and actually can explode open. I knew it was coming when i iced the cake yesterday. the cake seemed really wet and soft.

Janel. WOOHOOOOOO.. You go girl!

Here is a pic of the number one communion cake i did earlier today; no pics of 2nd one yet.

I wanna see you guys' cakes, esp the package ones!
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:26am
post #33 of 58

Another perfect cake, Sharon!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:28am
post #34 of 58

SMBC = Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Jamie, I had one near caketastrophe with SMBC in the heat and have been running scared ever since. Love the flavor and texture, don't love the keeping quality of it out here. I've been planning to try it with maybe half shortening instead of all butter. I have a great BC recipe that I've been using for over 30 years and most everybody requests it anyway so it's not usually an issue but I personally much prefer the MBC's.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:31am
post #35 of 58

What exactly happened? For future reference? icon_biggrin.gif Slide off the cake? Start to separate?? Mostly, my use of SMBC from here on until September is small cake and/or fillings only.....please tell though, what happened??

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:37am
post #36 of 58

I am working on a grooms cake for tommorow afternoon for 150. I have fbct in the freezer right now that I am worried about because it is so big, the size of the whole cake. I have done small fbct before but nothing on this scale. They wanted a copy of this drawing the bride made. The cake will be cut in this shape as well. The groom is a cyclist. I have the last cake in the oven right now. I just pray nothing goes wrong with the fbct!
LL

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #37 of 58

"Goo" started to form at the bottom edges, it was sliding off!! I was able to save it by quick refrigeration. I would have just died if it would have been for a wedding. I worry about wedding cakes anyway because they can sit for so many hours between delivery and service.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #38 of 58

I'm working on a three tiered dart themed cake to go along with a catering job I'm doing tomorrow night. Glad I'm not the only one awake while they're elbows deep in buttercream!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:48am
post #39 of 58

Sharon, very elegant cake.

I'm off to bed, hope you guys aren't up too late.

I'll put the finishing touches on my cake tomorrow and then post a photo.

all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:59am
post #40 of 58

ChristieC, I can't wait to see the cake from that drawing! That is too cute!

Here's my FNCC contribution
http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/normal_Aiden_and_mehndi_cake_018.JPG

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:07am
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

"Goo" started to form at the bottom edges, it was sliding off!! I was able to save it by quick refrigeration. I would have just died if it would have been for a wedding. I worry about wedding cakes anyway because they can sit for so many hours between delivery and service.

Ah...yep. I am super fanatical about keeping it chilled. I have also from day one been very specific about delivery time. I will arrive at the latest possible moment to setup, allow for any last minute fixings and be out the door before any guests get there. I can't stand the thought of an unattended cake.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #42 of 58

Here is my cake from last night...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1353756.html

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Cake and Dazzle...chocolate SMBC, cooled melted Ghiradelli drizzled in after it reaches it's final fluffy state......caramel, made with brown sugar instead of white sugar (to DIE for)....raspberry preserve SMBC, homemade preserves whipped into the SMBC, have to keep slightly chilled to make it hold together....lemon SMBC, just lemon extract....plain SMBC, NO vanilla...tastes wonderful! Let's see....what am I leaving out....I think that's it!

thanks so much! going to have to try the caramel next cake i make!!!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

omg the same thing happened to me too once!! I think I found out that when it happened i didnt add enough butter to hold it together! It was terrible though...

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #45 of 58

WOW!! your cakes are all awesome!!!! Great Jobs everyone!!

I delivered my cake to the party and once is was cut it was GONE!! I used the WASC cake recipe but used a lemon mix with lemon extract and lemonaide instead of water - SO GOOD!! Then I used Sharon's buttercream for a 6QT mixer and used 3T vanilla, 1T butter and 1T lemon extract, so it just had a hint of lemon and wasn't overpowering - IT WAS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!! (if I do say so myself!! haha!!)

anyway here is the pic - I hope it attaches and if not you can go here to see it and other pictures of it... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1354111

Ok - I can't get it to attach - its in my photos at the link above - TFL!!!

all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #46 of 58

Aaaaaaaaaaaw, it turned out so cute!

janelwaters Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #47 of 58

Thank you so much!! I am pretty proud of this one!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #48 of 58

Here's the one I was working on. Not really all that good at all. I started getting a head ache last night and was up til 3:30. Then up at 7:30 to finish and I felt like crap!! I think I gave myself a sugar head ache from yesterday!
LL

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #49 of 58

By the way, all your cakes are awesome! I was almost too embarrased to post mine!

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #50 of 58

Grrr I can't post pictures! Visit my blog. I did one last night, one this morning and I have another one tomorrow. Ugh. I'm gonna be caked out after this weekend.

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #51 of 58

Grrr I can't post pictures! Visit my blog. I did one last night, one this morning and I have another one tomorrow. Ugh. I'm gonna be caked out after this weekend.

all4cake Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #52 of 58

gerripje, what are you talking about...too embarassed to post...that cake turned out great!

crazymommyof3, that is adorable...the cow jumped over the moon? I've never seen one like that. I like that one!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #53 of 58

Wonderful cakes evryone!

janelwaters Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #54 of 58

Great cakes!!!! I think we all had a very productive weekend!!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #55 of 58

This is the cake I was working on Friday night 4/25. Forgot to post picture. For my daughter's holy communion. I wanted to post a front view of this cake but it says my pictures are too small. There are more pictures of it on my website. Stenciling cakes sides is tricky!!! It was my first time doing it. Definately a learning experience.
LL

janelwaters Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #56 of 58

Oh my gosh! that is SO PRETTY!!! you did an amazing job!!

all4cake Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #57 of 58

SHogg, that cake is gorgeous! (I thought I was going nuts...with the dates on the thread and then your posting...)

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #58 of 58

Thanks! When I went to post it I was wondering why it was still April, I guess they open a new thread for each Friday Night Cake Club! Makes sense though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%