Really Bad Cake Day!

Decorating By underthesun Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 1:28am by classiccake

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 14

Everything went wrong today! I've planned this cake really well and have tried to stick to the plan. But everything seemed to be against me. The chocolate fondant I made yesterday, just tears apart - does not stretch, so I made more today, used different chocolate and less PS. However, the new batch just did not look right while I was making it. Have no idea what to expect tomorrow. So... I move on to buttercream. I made sugarshack recipe for first time. Watched the utube video first. My buttercream is completely filled with air (I guess). I could not get it to come out nice and smooth like hers no matter what. Then the worst - went to look at video again, and my internet had gone down. I've been without all afternoon! NO CC! I'm so sick of powdered sugar right now, I could scream!

On the bright side, I did make white fondant, just in case my first attempt at chocolate did not turn out right. And I do have enough ingredients to make more buttercream if I can't use what i've made. Hopefully things will look brighter tomorrow.

13 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 14

Oh dear icon_sad.gif

If you can, get away for a bit. Go for a walk and see if things go better when you come back.

Sorry, no real advice from me. Just wishing you luck and hoping things go better for you later.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 14

I've noticed that my buttercream works out much better if I give it a few stirs with a spatula or spoon after getting the beaters out. Eliminates almost all of the air bubbles.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 14

I had an air issue one time and put mine in the fridge. Let is set up (covered of course) brought it out and let it come almost to room temp then used the paddle on it again. It really made a huge difference.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:35am
post #5 of 14

I hate bad cake days!!! At least yours didn't involve any fire...last weekend I was getting ready to bake and I preheated the oven while I was mixing the batter...not knowing that my husband had stuck our pizza (box and all) in the oven to keep it warm while he got our kids ready for bed. Well, deep in measurements I didn't pay one bit of attention until my husband came bounding down the steps asking me what was burning. I opened the oven and our pizza box was on fire!!!!!

Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure. If not, you can think...well at least I didn't nearly burn our house down!

icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:37am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

I hate bad cake days!!! At least yours didn't involve any fire...last weekend I was getting ready to bake and I preheated the oven while I was mixing the batter...not knowing that my husband had stuck our pizza (box and all) in the oven to keep it warm while he got our kids ready for bed. Well, deep in measurements I didn't pay one bit of attention until my husband came bounding down the steps asking me what was burning. I opened the oven and our pizza box was on fire!!!!!

Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure. If not, you can think...well at least I didn't nearly burn our house down!

icon_smile.gif

LMAO I have done that!!!!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 14

I'm so sorry you had a bad cake day.... we all have them though...

To not get air in the icing...the icing needs to be up over the top of the paddle.

I make a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant that is just a couple easy steps..... it is a DREAM to work with.

Jen icon_smile.gif

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #8 of 14

KrissieCakes - I'm sorry, but your story makes me laugh. I hope you laugh at it now, too. And, yes today has been better.

I actually didn't do any cake "stuff" today, until just now. I think I will try putting the buttercream back into the KA and using the paddle. It is at room temp now and seems thick. I just posted on how to thin, before I read your suggestions. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again! I know tomorrow will be a good cake day!

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I'm so sorry you had a bad cake day.... we all have them though...

To not get air in the icing...the icing needs to be up over the top of the paddle.

I make a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant that is just a couple easy steps..... it is a DREAM to work with.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Hi Jen
Is there a recipe for your semi-homemade white chocolate fondant or you just torturing us? lol

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #10 of 14

underthesun..when I made sugarshack's buttercream recipe..the liquid amount made my buttecream too thick..and dry. I was getting some bubbles. I had to add several tablespoons of hot creamer/water mixture to get it to where I liked it.

HTH!

JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #11 of 14

LOL - I really don't mean to torture you... if you want info on my fondant, please e-mail me

Jen icon_smile.gif

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 14

I had a terrible cake day yesterday! I immediately thought I am not cut out for baking/decorating. I had 2 10' layers to droop in the middle and were too dark around the edges. On top of that, my DH took out 2 6" layers and flipped them over on the cooling racks and there was batter spilling out of the middle. I could just icon_cry.gif

JenniferMI Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 14

Hang in there destinryn....

((((hugs)))) to you.

Jen icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #14 of 14

I think fondant aways works better when you give it at least 2 or 3 days before using it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%