My Icing Slid Off My Cake =( ????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 7

What did I do wrong???
I have done many cakes in the past, but this is the first.
I iced a 6" round cake with Buttercream icing. However, I did not CRUMBCOAT the cake. I did crumb coat my cakes in the past, when I started cake decor. However, a lot of folks told me there was no need to.
Shortly after the cake was iced, the icing on the side of the cake slid off from the top. I did however place a BUNCH of icing on the top edge so that I can take the excess off with my spatula to create a straight edge. (I have the Sharon Z. DVD this is where I learned this teq.)

Any ideas why this happenend? Is it because I did not crumb coat? Was is becuase the icing was to heavy on the top edge and I did not take enough off????

Has this ever happended to anyone???

Thanks

6 replies
schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 7

Was your icing to thin? (consistency I mean) Are you in the south? hot/humid day? I know crumb coats are good n' all, but I don't think it would have saved the icing from sliding off. Sounds weird. Sorry, don't really know what to tell you. Better luck next time? icon_smile.gif

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

Sounds like an experience I had. No, it's not because you didn't crumb coat. Could have been a few things. Heavy frosting on top does contribute if some other factors are present. My buttercream recipe calls for 1/2 c. milk to 2 pounds of confectioners' sugar. I live on Padre Island (South Texas), where it's usually hot and always humid. That's TOO MUCH MILK!!! Now, I know there are others in this forum with more expertise, but at least I can tell you to look out for icing that's too thin, rooms that are too warm - and icing that's too heavy! Hope that helps.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

oh yes it has !!!! I think mine was a combo of humidity / heat and too much icing that caused my disaster. At least yours happened at home (I hope).... I had mine happen in the CAR on the way to the venue.. watched it all slide right of this beautiful wedding cake... UGH... (don't mean to take away from your problem.. sorry!! I still have issues!!)

It is not from omitting the crumbcoating technique......I do it both ways.

Was it hot and humid???

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7

OMG - I had that happen too! I nearly died of shock when I found it. I had iced the cake at night and when I went to do the decorating the next morning - there it was, 1/2 the cake - icing slid 1/2 way down the side into a big pile. icon_surprised.gif I couldn't beleive it. I was lucky enough to have the day to re-ice the cake but it was awefull having to SCRAPE the icing off the cakae to re-do. I realized my icing's consistency was too thin and it was too warm in the room where I'd left it. both my mistakes so no one I could be angry at but myself. Lesson well learned!!!

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 7

The only time I ever have this problem is when I use my large icing tip to put the icing on my cake. If I put it all on with a spatula it stays on. I think that when I use the spatula I "press" the icing onto the sides of the cake better and it doesnt slide.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 7

Now that I think of it, I belive it could of been a humidty issue as well as the weight of the icing......Thanks again all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%