The Christmas Tree Shoppe Finds!!!

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm by Abbiedal

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 14

I found three great things today:
1. FLAT skewers for cookie pops (in the barbecue section). They won't spin in the cookies.
2. Large, smooth, rigid wooden cutting boards to use as cake boards. I plan to glue a smaller one under a larger one so that I can pick up the cake more easily. I only bake for family, so I don't need anything too big. The cutting boards were available in many sizes, and did not have grooves like some cutting boards.
3. Extra long dowels (also in the barbecue section), intended for marshmallow toasting. They can be used for doweling stacked cakes, and they were cheap!

13 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 14

I've never heard of this company before. But that's awesome that you found a bunch of stuff to use!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 14

Christmas Tree Shoppe ROCKS!! Half my house is decorated with stuff from there............love the place icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the tips, I always go there on Mondays, it's my day off!

cutthecake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 14

They must be an east coast chain. They sell mostly seasonal and household stuff that you didn't know you needed or wanted until you see it. Then you buy it, and realize you really don't need it or want it; and you don't have anyplace to put it. I like to go every few months, maybe every season. It's a step or two up from a dollar store.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

They must be an east coast chain. They sell mostly seasonal and household stuff that you didn't know you needed or wanted until you see it. Then you buy it, and realize you really don't need it or want it; and you don't have anyplace to put it. I like to go every few months, maybe every season. It's a step or two up from a dollar store.

I had to laugh at your description. That is so true. I go every so often and unless I'm specifically looking for something or misc. toys for the kids, there's not usually much I feel I need...but dontcha just love a bargain???

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 14

We don't have them in Ohio, either. icon_sad.gif Next time I'm in NY I'll have to check it out. It sounds pretty neat!

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 14

I loved the Christmas Tree Shoppe when I lived in Maine and I went often - there aren't any in my part of Florida and I miss them. icon_sad.gif I'm glad you were able to find some neat stuff and that's a great idea to use the marshmellow sticks as dowels....

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #8 of 14

We have a new one here too =)
Last week, I found some large metal "diamond rings" (about 2" x 3" ) with large crystal "diamonds" in them marked as paperweights.
$3 each
figured they'd be great for engagement cake toppers =)

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #9 of 14

dkelly, go Sunday night an hour or two prior to closing. Everything on the clearance rack goes down to ten cents.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

dkelly, go Sunday night an hour or two prior to closing. Everything on the clearance rack goes down to ten cents.

Cool.......thanks for the tip!

cutthecake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #11 of 14

I bought one of those giant diamond rings, too! Didn't need it, but I got it anyway.

When I got home from the store today, I opened the cabinet to put away the birthday paper goods I bought, and I found four packages of the same stuff already in there. ($1 per package) So yes, bbmom, I guess I just love a bargain!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #12 of 14

Well now that you've told me what it is, I want to go! It sounds like a fun place to shop. Too bad we don't have them around here.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #13 of 14

It is hit or miss but my christmas tree shop often has the wilton character pans for $3, or cookie cutters real cheap. I always go in for 1 item and come out with bags of stuff. I will have to check out the barbeque section. thanks for info

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 14

Christmas tree shop is an experience especially on a Saturday or sunday !!! great description "didn't know i needed it it until I saw it" how true!!
Last time I was there I got wilton parchment paper for $2.99 and they had wilton bows for (cake toppers) that looked like they were made out of fondant I've never seen those before....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%