Can This Be Done By A Novice? Need Advice Asap!

Decorating By Carda Updated 29 May 2009 , 12:45am by Carda

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, so I really need your help cakers!

I have just had a cupcake and cupcake pop sale for chairty at DHs office, and now he has called me saying a colleague would like a star wars theme cake for a birthday next weekend. I would HATE to say no, as it is my first "order" (won't take money for it, but would like to get my name out there) and a great opportunity to practice.

The thing is I have only actually done a few simply decorated cakes before, always buttercream, always one tier, so am I really ready for this? As far as I can make out she wants a carved cake maybe a Darth Wader mask or something, is this doable? And do you have any ideas for SIMPLE Star Wars cakes. The only carving I have done before has been outlining the shape of a whale for my son's first bday cake. I already have a few things going on next week, but I guess with my husband's help I can find the time.

What do you think. what would you do?

9 replies
katta87_2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katta87_2005 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 10

Hey I'd suggest if your up to buying it maybe getting a darth vador cake pan... i think i've seen one, maybe wilton? If not you could just do a sheet cake and then get some action figures and base the cake off of that. At work we do a black cake with stars and flames going up the sides out of icing. Hope that helps.

Carda Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 10

I live in Bermuda so unfortunately I can't get a Darth Vader pan here in time for the birthday. I really like the idea though of doing a simple cake and then adding action figures or fondant figures to make it Star Wars-y.

I've decided to do it, just can't turn down the opportunity after having told everyone I want to get as much practise as possible. Just wish it was in two weeks instead, have so much on next week. Am not home Thursday or Friday night, and on the Saturday she wants the cake I have to participate in a charity walk. And I have my toddler son home all day every day, and there is no way I can make the cake while he's tugging at my trouser leg icon_rolleyes.gif

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #4 of 10

If your any good at piping, you can do a FBCT on a sheet cake of Darth Vader and go from there

Carda Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:03am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteph

If your any good at piping, you can do a FBCT on a sheet cake of Darth Vader and go from there

I've never actually done a FBCT, is there a tutorial somewhere for that?

txsteph Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #6 of 10

I found this thread that talks about doing the FBCT, and some other ideas you might be able to use.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-627891-fbct.html

txsteph Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #7 of 10

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

Here is the link on the tutorial for FBCT .. of course I found it after the above post LOL

Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 10

Oh wow, that looks so cool! I really want to learn to do that! Seems like I will have to learn to keep my relatively small freezer uncluttered first icon_wink.gif

Finally, after giving the "customer" a few suggestions, they have settled on a round cake with the Death Star and attacking spaceships on wire on top (have seen that a few times here on CC). I think this will be manageable and I have set a few deadlines for myself over the next few days, so hopefully I won't be too stressed come Friday night. Wish me luck!

txsteph Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 10

Good Luck!! You will do just great on it. Remember to post pics here for us.

Carda Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #10 of 10

Ooops, just realised a few days ago I never gave an update, so here's a belated one. The cake turned out great, I was really proud of it. Sure there were flaws, I just cannot ice a cake super smooth yet, but it turned out better than I thought.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the whole thing (just the process), but asked the woman whose son's birthday it was to take a picture. And she didn't! So gutted, and it's really taught me a lesson about always taking pictures before handing it over. icon_cry.gif

Thanks for all your help guys thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%