What Have I Done Wrong?

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 1:53am by butterfly831915

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so I have been making cakes for the place I work for over a year now. 1 a month for birthdays. I gave them a great discount $20 for half a sheet, that way I could practice and such. Well now I am informed they are no longer going with my cakes and going to go back to the store bought cakes. I don't get it. This came out of no where. I am being asked all the time where's the cake, when is it coming in etc and the people that I work closely with all want my cake but there are a few in the back that want the store cake. No one is wanting to tell me what they wanted different or anything. Infact they even sent someone else to tell me not to bother with making a cake for them again. Wow, I have no idea what I did wrong. I thought I had been doing a good job, the three tier cake in my pics was one I let them get for $20, I know it isn't great but it was a lot more cake then just the normal one. I can't wrap my head around this one and now I am terrified, I am to make my sisters wedding cake in June and don't want it to be bad if they taste bad. I just don't know. Most people I talk to say they like the taste of my cake and just rave over my cinnamon with peanut butter filling. I am so upset because I thought what I offered was so much better than the convience store cakes.

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 8

Don't assume it's because you've done something wrong. Office politics are most likely at play, and somebody complained to somebody else either out of jealousy or PMS or whatever! You keep going and keep caking... don't let them stop you!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 8

I agree - it's probably office politics. Someone's friend of someone does cakes and you aren't using her, etc. Don't get too upset over it and keep doing your other cakes. I'm sure YOU aren't the problem.

Chin up icon_smile.gif

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 8

I Agree that is probably the regular office BS. Everyone knows how these things go. Someone probably has a sister or aunt that "does cakes" and they think they should buy from them. Just to avoid the problem they decided to get from a store. Don't sweat it!!

butterfly831915 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much. I really had to vent about it.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 8

Office jealousy,don't sweat it.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 8

Are you licensed and getting paid "legit"? If not, it could just be an accounting thing...petty cash being more closely monitored, needing to go with a bakery that has a tax id & provides receipts, etc. Or if you are running a legal bakery, they may worry that giving business to an employee could be a conflict of interest. Really, it could be any number of things. If it is really bothering you, I'd pull aside the person who makes the decision and ask. At least then you would know and won't second guess yourself every month when you see the store-bought cake. Sorry this happened, good luck.

Bec

butterfly831915 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #8 of 8

I am legal and no one else does cakes, it was them who came to me to do them for them. I don't get it, the person who makes the decision has no answers for me. I decided to just let it go and forget it. I know my cakes are better than the store bought ones and if they want to dish out 20 bucks more that is there bad. I say forget it. I don't care about it anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%