Mmf Emergency! Please Advise!!!

Decorating By allibopp5 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 3:34am by lostincake

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 21

I've worked with MMF a lot, but I'm having trouble with this batch. It's crumbly. I've tried kneading in more Crisco, but it just doesn't seem to be working. As I knead it it is just crumbling, not stretchy at all. I need to get the fondant accents on a cake that will be picked up in 4 hours, and I'm starting to get a bit panic-y.
Any helpful hints? Thanks!!

~Allison

20 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 21

What about glycerin,personally i don't make fondant i buy it,but i heard glycerin gives it elasticity.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 21

Glycerine has helped me in the past.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 21

I third this! Glycerin should give you the moisture and elasticity your needing. Good Luck!!

allibopp5 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 21

I don't have any, nor do I have time to run out and get any...shoot!
Any other ideas?? I've never had this problem before, can't figure out what I did differently this time...

sully149 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully149 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 21

corn syrup???

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 21

It has done that to me too and I really dont know why. I think it is because I might not add enough water when I melt the marshmallows. Try putting back in the microwave for 3-5 seconds and maybe adding just a couple drops of water and kneading alot til it comes together. Hopefully you won't have to make a new batch. I have never tried the glycerine so I dont know if that would work or not.

allibopp5 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 21

sully149,
How much? I'm assuming just a touch...and just knead it in? Anyone tried this before?

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 21

MAybe warm it a bit in the microwave??

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 21

I would just do like 3 drops at a time until it gets like you want it. did you put any water in to begin with?

GayeG Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 21

I have reservations about the water ... but, well, no different than what your facing now huh?? If it doesnt work ..
Sorry I dont know what else to tell ya =( Let us know how the water works for you!! Im interested to hear!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 21

I've had this happen before and what I've done is to plop the whole thing in a pyrex (or microwave safe bowl), with some additional marshmallows and microwave for 15 seconds until the new MM has melted somewhat. Then using a spoon, I mix it all together until it's cool enough to touch, then knead it until fully incorporated.

It has worked an inumerable amount of times for me. Just make sure not to touch while hot - use the spoon.

I find just adding water compromises the consistency of the MMF but if it's just for decorations, that might be ok but I would rather go the additional MM route.

HTH icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 21

Oh wanted to add, you may need to warm for more than 15 seconds depending on how much MMF you had originally. I usually just do it in 15 sec intervals.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 21

I don't think anything is going to help... I think you cooked the initial batch too hard and crystallized the sugars. Been there. Done that. I doubt you'll be able to save it. In the end, it will probably need to be tossed and you will have to start over. Sorry to be the wet blanket.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 21

ugh, i feel your pain!

I made 4 batches of fondant not too long ago and 2 of them are SUPER soft...like, to the point it won't hold together if i pick it up.

allibopp5 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 21

thanks all of you for the info...I may have to tweak my design idea a bit. Still working on another cake too so haven't gotten to deal with the fondant yet. Debating which method to try. I think I'll try warming it a bit first. If that doesn't work, I'll try adding melted marshmallows...
I'll keep you posted! You guys are great!

shinerjax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shinerjax Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 21

LOL.... I JUST had this prob this minute.. but i did add just a few drops of H2O and put back in the micro for about 8 seconds. Then it became a little to sticky , then add added, literally a touch of powdered sugar and was able to need it nicely again with crisco on the counter.

I hope this helps!!!

cheers

GayeG Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #18 of 21

I think your right about what your trying!! So good luck and make sure and let us know how it worked for you!

allibopp5 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #19 of 21

thanks all of you for the info...I may have to tweak my design idea a bit. Still working on another cake too so haven't gotten to deal with the fondant yet. Debating which method to try. I think I'll try warming it a bit first. If that doesn't work, I'll try adding melted marshmallows...
I'll keep you posted! You guys are great!

allibopp5 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #20 of 21

Ok...here's what I tried:

Warmed in the micro a bit. Softened it, but it still wasn't elastic-y at all. Still crumbly. Then I melted some marshmellows (maybe about 1 cup) in the micro and combined with my already colored ball of mmf. Made it much more workable. Still not ideal, but I was able to finish my cake. It was just more difficult to work with this time around. Harder to roll out, it ripped easily, etc. Next batch I do, I will add less powdered sugar OR more marshmallows. Someone suggested maybe I over heated the sugars, my micro isn't great, so that's a real possibility...maybe more frequent stirring and shorter time in the micro.
Thanks for your prompt help everyone...it's so nice to be able to come on here for help in a cake-crisis!

lostincake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #21 of 21

Glad you were able to salvage it and finish the cake and thanks for the update. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%