So Many Details, Just One Cake!!

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 13

I got a request from someone wanting a cake for her daughter and she wants it to be "all about her" as she put it. She told me her daughter likes to play basketball, listens to her Samsung S3 constantly, lover her pink Nintendo DS, likes to take digital pictures and garden, loves God, likes barbie pink, bright orange, and green, and loves Taylor Swift...

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to incorporate these things into one cake? I am a little overwhelmed by this request! It is going to be 2 tiers. I plan on making the MP3 (Samsung) player out of gumpaste, and possibly the Nintendo DS as well, but as for the rest...help! icon_smile.gif Thanks!!!

12 replies
karaokegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karaokegirl Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 13

Wow - that's a tall order. Just off the top of my head I'd make a square layer and then maybe use a ball pan for the 2nd layer and make that a basketbal. One down, many to go. On the lower layer, cover in pink fondant or icing - that's the pink. Use a grass tip to pip green grass all around the base where it meets the cake board and then pipe or fondant in flowers and the like - that's the gardening. Then on top you could add the other items made of fondant and/or gumpaste: DS, mp3 player, digital camera, cross (for God). Am stuck on the Taylor Swift; you could use a Wilton doll head in blonde and somehow crimp her hair out a la Taylor or make a cd case modelled after Taylor's cd's as part of the 2nd layer. If you're really keen, you could not do the basketball and make it out of fondant on the lower level and use the Wonder mold pan and put that on top and use the Taylor Swift singing doll on top of the lower layer (just be sure to wrap the doll in plastic wrap to keep her clean as suggested by other posters who've done doll cakes). Sorry for the long post; hope some of these suggestions help! Good luck!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 13

The green and white "farewell" cake in my pictures is one way to do something like this. Basically, I blocked off the cake and made kind of a "frame" for each thing... You could have a basketball on top...

You could also do a cake decorated kind of funky in her colors and then do 3-D items arranged around the tiers and board.

Good luck! Cna't wait to see what you come up with!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 13

How about a hexegon cake with each side devoted to a different interest and the cake iced in her favorite colors.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 13

I have always liked this cake by cambo. I know this is all the "80,s" but it shows how she added a variety of different items!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1294245

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 13

You could pipe on the MP3 player that the current song/artist playing is Taylor Swift.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 13

I love to do cakes that are "about people" icon_biggrin.gif

This one I did recently:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1344548

I know it is not a 2-tier, but it does include a lot about her in just that small little topper so it could be that you'd be able to include more than one item in a topper (which is also fun because it is removable and becomes a keepsake) and include her colors and other details about her into the overall design of the cake.

jardot22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the ideas! I've decided to keep the design kind of funky, maybe some flowers for her love of gardening and some fun swirls or something, and then make 3d models of her Nintendo DS, and her MP3 player (I've already done these), and I'll also make a basketball out of fondant to put somewhere. I'm going to put the Nintendo DS as the topper, and have music notes flying out of the cake with wires. I hope it turns out as cute as it is in my head! LOL. I really appreciate everyone's input! Win - I love that topper! So cute, and what a great keepsake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 13

Geesh! Anyone wanna bet THAT little girl grows up to be a prima donna with the way mommy wants everything on that cake? icon_confused.gif

I'd probably tell her "Unless you're wanting to pay for a 7-tier Cake Challenge cake, we'll probably have to narrow it down a bit ...."

jardot22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 13

LOL yeah when she first told me everything I was tempted to "politely suggest" that she narrow down her preferences, but I thought, what the heck, I'll just do as much as I can with it and maybe it will be a learning experience. Yeah, let's see if that's my attitude on Friday when I"m decorating! icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 13

i agree with debi that's a lot to cram onto one cake (even if it's two layer) but i do like how cambo made the 80's theme with the foam pieces (that's the way i think i'd do it-unless the customer's gonna pay for all those customized pieces?)

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks, jardot22! Your work is so clean and so many of your cakes already incorporate the "fun" in "funky" so I have no doubt whatever your finished piece looks like, it will be a huge hit!
Make sure to post pictures!

Edited to add that I love your bee hive cake!

jardot22 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you so much Win! I've only been doing this for about 9 months, so I really appreciate your compliments!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%