Cookie Bouquet Problems...

Baking By Starkie Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm by linedancer

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 21

I have successfully make a cookie bouquet exactly one time (my first time)! All other times the cookies fall right off the stick! So my question is, how thick do you roll out NFSC dough, and how long do you bake it with the stick in it? I think cookie consistency is my problem, but I am afraid of baking my cookies too long and them getting hard and dry. Any ideas?

TIA!
<Starkie>

20 replies
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 21

Oooh, I'm so glad you asked this question. I'm making my first cookie bouquet next weekend so I'm interested in hearing this answer.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 21

I always roll my dough to 1/4" thickness. I lay the stick on the cookie sheet, lay the cookie on top, and gently press the dough around the stick. I bake for the usual time (10-12 minutes @ 350). So far, I've never had a cookie fall off the stick. An option you may want to try: bag the cookie, then glue the stick to the bag.

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 21

I roll my dough at 1/4" thick and then carefully insert the stick while holding the cookie down. Then I bake at 8-10 min (reg time). I don't have a problem with the stick falling out from the cookie. Good luck!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 21

I second GeminiRJ 's gluing the stick to the bag. I think shiney is the one who had the idea. You glue your stick about 1 in from the top of the bag and then tape it. It is the easiest and best I have ever used. Thanks, shiney.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 21

I also do 1/4 inch but I "glue" the stick to the back of the cookie. I just have better luck with that. I use RI piped thru a tip onto the back of the cookie and then just lay the stick on it. Works great.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 21

I use bamboo skewers from Walmart (.97 for 100). I roll my dough to 1/4 inch and twist the skewer while I slide it into the cookie. I place my left hand on the top of the cookie so that I can feel how high up the skewer goes. I then bake until the edges are dry and slightly brown (7-8 minutes in my oven). I haven't had one slip....yet! Hope this helps! Good luck.

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:15am
post #8 of 21

I just posted a bridal shower bouquet and used Shiney's technique of attaching the stick to the back of the bag. I used clear packing tape and it worked perfectly! I didn't use the glue like Shiney does because I'm pretty ridiculous with a glue gun. I had fine strings of dried glue everywhere, melted a couple of bags, got glue on the table, etc... icon_cry.gif Tape worked well for me! As long as you are not going to see the back of the bouquet, this really works. Just make sure you tie the ribbon really snug to hold it all together. Here are the links to Shiney's posts:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-619564-30.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-619564-15-days0-orderasc-.html

Thanks again to Shiney for posting here awesome technique thumbs_up.gif

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:48am
post #9 of 21

Pebbles, thanks for linking me to Shiney's post! I think I will try a bouquet her way and see what happens. The sticks in the cookies just aren't working for me. And I love the idea of Hershey bars as fillers for the bouquet!!!

Thanks again, all!

<S>

linedancer Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 21

Pebbles13, I had the same problem with the glue melting a couple of bags. Here is what I found helped me. I cut a piece of heavy vinyl a little smaller than the bag, slipped that inside the bag. Then I put just a small amount of glue on one side of the stick and laid it down on the bag. Put your tape on it, I used packing tape also, and slip the vinyl out of the bag. I like this method because when you take the cookie out of the bag to eat, it is just a cookie, no stick. I also use toleshed's method, it works really well too.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 21

i'm gonna try this method. i'm so tired of making cookies on sticks. it takes longer, takes up more room, it's harder to decorate.... i love the idea of making cookies without sticks.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #12 of 21

I agree kneadacookie but the bouquets are so pretty and everyone loves them.

kneadacookie Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

I agree kneadacookie but the bouquets are so pretty and everyone loves them.

i know icon_cry.gif and i sell too many of them not to sell them icon_cry.gif

kneadacookie Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #14 of 21

sorry double post

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:55am
post #15 of 21

Thanks so much for this post...to Pebbles13 for the link to Shiney's posts, and to Shiney for sharing her wonderful technique. I appreciate the information!

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 21

I just made my first cookie bouquet and I didn't want to have to try to decoarate the cookie with a stick already baked into it. So I attached the stick to the back of the dry, decorated cookie using white candy melts. It worked really well and they seem VERY secure that way.

jenny_adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny_adams Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #17 of 21

Brilliant, this is so helpful for me! Thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #18 of 21

Just a note of caution on the candy melts. They are great if it is cool or cold, but I live in Florida and even in the winter it sometimes gets to warm to use candy melts. They do just what the name says, MELT icon_cry.gif You can do it the same way with RI. Just pipe a strip of RI on the cookie, put the stick on and let dry. HTH

sarah0418 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #19 of 21

linedancer, thanks for the word of warning. I live in Chicago, so the heat/humidity is only an issue for a few months out of the year. I will have to try RI next time.

sarah0418 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #20 of 21

linedancer, thanks for the word of warning. I live in Chicago, so the heat/humidity is only an issue for a few months out of the year. I will have to try RI next time.

linedancer Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #21 of 21

You are welcome, and boy I know it does get hot in Chicago in the summer!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%