Newbie!! Sugarpaste Question

Decorating By jiggy14 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm by jiggy14

jiggy14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiggy14 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone icon_biggrin.gif
Im new to the site (love it here) and to the world of cake decorating.
I am making my best friends wedding cake in July and it is going to be 3 separate tiers on a stand with bride and groom figures on top and the 3 children spread out over the bottom two tiers.
I am happy making and covering the cakes and I am happy making all the figures. I just wanted to know if there is anything really important I should know about putting it all together??
Also
How far in advance can I make the figures (all sugarpaste)?
What is the best way to secure them to the cake?

Thank you all

Gayle xx

6 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:30am
post #2 of 7

Allow lots of time just in case things go wrong!!!!

Are you planning on participating in any area of the wedding other than the cake? If so there are some different threads on discussing the topic. I know that kmemphis made a cake for her son and it was a long process. Maybe you could pm her and ask her where she posted her adventure of it. It is a wonderful source of seeing the steps that she had to take.

You can make the figures a looooong time in advance. Maybe even make extra figures to allow for breakage. I would just make sure that they are in a cardboard box or something that allows air circulation away from sunlight.

In your construction of the figures maybe you could construct them on kabob skewers or popsicle sticks. I am no means an expert but this is the first thing that I could think of.

Maybe make a practice cake to get a feel of it?????

Most of all have fun and welcome to CC icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:31am
post #3 of 7

I am sorry but it is k8memphis

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:36am
post #4 of 7

You may want to add some tylose powder (aka CMC) to the sugarpaste to make the figures. They dry harder. I use 1 teaspoon of tylose powder in 250 g sugarpaste.

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

CakeGalUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGalUK Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:58am
post #5 of 7

Depends on the size and shape but I use either a thin dowel inserted into the figures or edible glue. Also depends on what covering you have on the cake i.e. buttercream or sugarpaste (although I think in the US fondant = sugarpaste and sugarpaste is slightly different!)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:09am
post #6 of 7

If sugarpaste is fondant, I'd add tylose to make it dry harder... just like ngfcake mentioned. You can make it as far in advance. You can use toothpicks, dowels, BBQ sticks, and also those candy sticks. Just make sure to check that there isn't any splinters on the sticks and that no one eats the tootpicks.

jiggy14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiggy14 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your replies icon_biggrin.gif
I learnt how to do the figures through lorraine's (Aine2) tutorials so I do add CMC to the sugarpaste and I use either a cocktail stick or piece of spaghetti through the middle of the figures.
Unfortunately I am going on holiday the day before the wedding !! so I will miss it completely!!
The cakes are chocolate covered in chocolate flavoured sugarpaste and I will bake them in advance and freeze them. The figures I will do well in advance and making some extras is a great idea!!
I will then probably defrost the cakes Wed night, crumbcoat and cover with sugarpaste on Thurs. I will be delivering it to my friend on the Friday. Does this sound ok??
Do I give her the figures separately with a pot of edible glue so she can put them on at the venue? or should I glue them on before I give them to her?

Thanks again

Gayle xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%