Scratch Yellow Cake? Wbh Or Mermaid Bakery Recipe?

Baking By erinalicia Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm by cakeymom

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #31 of 40

I think this is the recipe I have been wanting to try. I am wondering if they changed the name though because I think I have it saved to my recipe box as coconut layer cake.

Well I am torn between trying this next and Toba's moist yellow. After researcing many yellow recipes now, I am finding they are all very very similar!

springlakecake Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #32 of 40

I just baked Tobas "moist yellow" and I think I prefer it over the other two I tried this week (Mermaid and WBH golden butter cake). Toba's was definitely the most moist and the most yellow of the 3 (for me anyway) It did have a little bit of a "tang" to the flavor I think because of the buttermilk in it. When I paired it with the icing I couldnt taste that any longer. It definitely took awhile to beat the heck out of the butter in the recipe. I think it will be my new yellow cake unless I find anything I like better.

Do you think I could take some out, add cocoa and swirl together to make a marble cake? I have done it with cake mixes before. I don't see why it wouldnt work, but just curious!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:42am
post #33 of 40

Can you post the recipes for WBH & mermaids...
It so funny to see that sooooo many different people have soooo many different opinions on the same cakes... i heard favs & disapointments from wbh, mermaids, toba's and a couple other i cant rememeber at the moment. just amazes me!
I personally and a huge fan of Martha stewarts recipes.... but am going to try these three peoples... although i love white over yellow...

springlakecake Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #34 of 40

I think the mermaid one was posted somewhere in this thread in a link. I got it off this site in the recipes.

I think it is funny that everyone has a different favorite! It would be cool if everyone baked the same recipes and and ranked them. Of the 3 I baked this is what I thought (I am new to scratch baking though, so I easily could have messed things up!):

1. Toba's Moist Yellow: My favorite of the 3. The most moist and yellow in color. Took the longest to prepare. Also it was so moist coming out of the pan I was a little worried it would break apart. The bottoms and edges didnt brown up (the top did nicely though). Tasted a little "tangy" to me plain (because of buttermilk I think) but I couldnt taste it when paired with icing.

2. WBH: Easy and had a nice flavor, not very "yellow". I found it dried out on me pretty fast. 2nd favorite of the two.

3. Mermaid: Easy. Tasted a little bland to me. I did not like the texture. Maybe subing cake flour would help. Not very "yellow" in color either.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I think the mermaid one was posted somewhere in this thread in a link. I got it off this site in the recipes.

I think it is funny that everyone has a different favorite! It would be cool if everyone baked the same recipes and and ranked them. Of the 3 I baked this is what I thought (I am new to scratch baking though, so I easily could have messed things up!):

1. Toba's Moist Yellow: My favorite of the 3. The most moist and yellow in color. Took the longest to prepare. Also it was so moist coming out of the pan I was a little worried it would break apart. The bottoms and edges didnt brown up (the top did nicely though). Tasted a little "tangy" to me plain (because of buttermilk I think) but I couldnt taste it when paired with icing.

2. WBH: Easy and had a nice flavor, not very "yellow". I found it dried out on me pretty fast. 2nd favorite of the two.

3. Mermaid: Easy. Tasted a little bland to me. I did not like the texture. Maybe subing cake flour would help. Not very "yellow" in color either.

I have been trying to orginize this for ever! But no one is ever interested!! I would really like to have like a bake off of sorts, for a white/yellow & chocolate! have a bunch of people bake the exact 2 or 3 recipes and do a tasting and see which one ranks highest. If your interested maybe Ill try posting it again on CC!!

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #36 of 40

CakeandDazzle - I'd love to try something like that icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #37 of 40

sorry ladies, for some reason I wasn't getting the updates. I tried the Mermaid Bakery recipe. I thought it was good, but a little dry. I guess that's the difference between scratch and using a doctored mix.

Is there anything I can add to make it a little more moist? I'm having to bake from scratch due to an allergy. The birthday girl is allergic to barley (in all forms) and almonds, so I can't use a mix.

I need to make a chocolate scratch cake too. I was going to use WBH chocolate butter cake. Any suggestions?

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:35am
post #38 of 40

Does the full recipe of the mermaid bakery vanilla buttercake really yield enough batter for a 9x4 cake? Seems the amount of batter as stated in the recipe (6 cups) wouldn't be enough

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:37am
post #39 of 40

Does the full recipe of the mermaid bakery vanilla buttercake really yield enough batter for a 9x4 cake? Seems the amount of batter as stated in the recipe (6 cups) wouldn't be enough

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #40 of 40

Mermaid Vanilla Butter Cake is AWESOME!!!!!!

I subbed the AP flour for Cake flour and the texture that it produces is out of sight!!!!!!!

Also, I ONLY use Nielsen-Massey Vanilla and I guarantee your cake will not taste bland.

Good Luck, thumbs_up.gif

cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%