Torting A Cake

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 2:17am by SpudCake

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 13

what is the best way????

I have a cheap wilton leveler (the big one) but when I trying to use it, my cake is cut sooooooo uneven, like up and down.

I just want to slice a 10 in in half and it look even!

TIA for your ans and help

12 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 13

Here's a bump; I would like to know this, too

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 13

I have the $5 wilton leveller (the one with the wire). I just put the cake in the fridge until it's cold all the way through, then I level off the top and torte it. It works fine for me, but I don't think that leveller would work for bigger than a 9" pan. I was going to see about getting a better one but I can't afford an agbay, especially since I've just started decorating.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 13

If you are CAREFUL........cutting side away from you, press down on the blade on both sides of the cake (close to the handle) as you glide it through your cake. This will make it cut evenly. WILTON LEVELER ONLY. I own an Agbay also and would NEVER suggest doing this with that blade.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 13
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 13

Flourpots: thank you so much for that link! I would never have thought of that and yet it is such a simple idea once you see it. Boy that is going to make torting all shapes of cakes so much easier. Now I can quit making thinner layers to avoid torting...yeah thumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Here's an easy way to torte: http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page40.htm

Thank You so much for the link thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 13

Another trick is to use dental floss (NOT MINTY unless you want that flavour in your cake) for the actual cutting. What I like to do is to use a knife to start the cut, or even go all around the cake, but then pull a piece of dentral floss taught and slide, saw along the top of the pan until it goes through your cake. Then you don't have to worry about your knife accidentally dipping down or up (guess it's not actually dipping if it goes up) and making it uneven. Mine you, I don't usually bother to torte or level because I am just a hobbiest.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 13

You're welcome icon_smile.gif .

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #11 of 13

I use the dental floss method and it works great. The wilton leveler was a waste of money

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudCake

If you are CAREFUL........cutting side away from you, press down on the blade on both sides of the cake (close to the handle) as you glide it through your cake. This will make it cut evenly. WILTON LEVELER ONLY. I own an Agbay also and would NEVER suggest doing this with that blade.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Just be sure you watch your fingers, it will slice you worse than a paper cut.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudCake

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Just be sure you watch your fingers, it will slice you worse than a paper cut.

As I said... be CAREFUL
I actually found the small Wilton leveler (the wire) to be a much better tool. Mine broke after many years but it was pretty good while it lasted. It is smaller that is the drawback.
The AGBAY is expensive but worth it if you are going to do many cakes.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%