How To Spend An Amazon Gift Certificate

Decorating By khkakes Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm by khkakes

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 11

I got a $100 gift certificate for Amazon. I have several books I wanted to get but can't decide - any help would be appreciated. I've been wanting Collette Peters The Art of Cake Decorating and Toba Garrett's book Professional Cake Decorating. But do I need both? Is there anything else on Amazon that I should consider getting?

I'm really wishing Amazon carried the Sugar Shack video icon_lol.gif

10 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 11

If you have a KA and don't have the beater blade that's what I'd get icon_smile.gif
I won a baby cake contest and the prize was an amazon gift card and that was when I bought mine... If I had known that using it meant I didn't need to sift my PS anymore I would have bought it a long time ago!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 11

I don't have either of those books but what I have gotten from Amazon (cake related that is icon_lol.gif ) are the following (I might be forgetting some item and I don't have the books handy so I can't remember all the titles....):

Scott Clark Woolley (Cakes By Design)
Alan Dunn's Books
Debbie Brown's Books
Some polymer clay books
Magic Line Cake pans

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 11

I bought my cake dummies with my amazon gift card.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 11

foxymomma521: what does the beater blade look like? Is it the whisk one? I would love to use my KA to sift!

As far as Amazon I would buy magic line pans because I need them but you may not need that. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

foxymomma521: what does the beater blade look like? Is it the whisk one? I would love to use my KA to sift!

Jen...

They are available for 5 & 6 quart as far as I know. Here's a link for one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TMHFG/?tag=cakecentral-20

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks Foxymomma. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

khkakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I totally forgot about the KA beater and I never thought about looking for cake pans on amazon. That $100 went fast. Cake money just doesn't last very long!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

As far as Amazon I would buy magic line pans because I need them but you may not need that. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Well, it doesn't actually sift your powdered sugar, but the rubber "spatulas" on the side of the blade make the icing SUPER smooth without the need to sift thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 11

I realize I'm too late to catch the OP before she spent her $100, but I just wanted to get the word out about how to shop and donate to charity at the same time -- how cool is that?!!!!

Go to http://www.goodsearch.com/goodshop.aspx and find the store/site you want to shop at, click on it, shop as usual, pay what you usually would, and they donate a percentage of your order to charity. They don't have every little vendor, but they do have an extensive list of participants, including Amazon.

You can choose the charity you want the money to go to. If you don't have a favorite, I'd like to plug the People's Resource Center. It's a service organization in the Chicago area that has a food pantry, clothes closet, computer classes, ESL classes and job placement assistance. TFL!!!!

khkakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 11

JGMB: I can't believe it I just finished ordering! Just 5 minutes soonerugh! I'll keep that in mind for future orders though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%