Tiered Cake Pans - What Size Pans Do You Use?

Decorating By KimmieJ Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm by KimmieJ

KimmieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmieJ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 5

I'm very new at making cakes and love all the tiered cakes I've seen here on the site. I'm interested in what size pans are being used for the tiered cakes. I have the standard 9 inch rounds which only seems to yield a cake that is maybe 1 1/2 inches tall or 3 inches when layered with a filling. suggestions on pan size to achieve the taller cakes layers?

4 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC! I hope I can help. When making a cake, say I want an 8" round cake, I bake 2 - 8" round cakes that bake up to be about 2" tall each. I take those 2 cakes and torte them in half so I have 4 - 1" tall cakes. I then stack and fill the 4 cake layers with 3 layers of filling. That way my cake ends up being 4"-5" tall.

Even if your cakes only bake up to being 1.5" tall, that's still a 3/4" tall layer. A cake with 4 - 3/4" layers will end up about 4" tall with filling. Most of my cakes tend to have 3/4" layers because I never put in the right amount of batter.

I hope that all makes sense for you. icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 5

It all depends on how many people the cake needs to be for. My tiered ones in my photos are 12 and 10 inch ones. If you fill your pan up 3/4 of the way full, it should rise above the pan and you can cut off the excess using your pan as a guide so that your tiers are level.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 5

If you're using the regular pans from a grocery store, i'd suggest getting newer ones that have sharper angles and are 2 inches high. If you want to buy them locally, your local craft store will most likely sell Wilton (and you can usually google a 40% off coupon). I like there to be a 3 inch difference.. so a 9 inch and a 6 inch, etc.

KimmieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmieJ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%