Question About Cali4Dawn's Buttercream

Decorating By crouton800 Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 3:51pm by dulce

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what the best type of buttercream is for a hot and humid climate? I've read that butter melts at a lower temp than crisco, hence more crisco the better.
What buttercreams do you ladies use for birthday cakes and weddings? Do you use different buttercreams and why? (sorry if this sounds like a naive question!)
Where i'm from, almost all our cakes are refridgerated. Only unfrosted buttercakes (a few days) and fruit cake stay out on the table top. Everything else is put in the fridge. So i've got to find a buttercream that's ok in the fridge and won't melt on me and coats/pipes/decorates well and not too sweet, it that's too much to ask! icon_cry.gif
Thanks!

7 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 8

I just posted on another thread... I use this recipe and I live in Arizona...Can't get any hotter than that!! icon_razz.gif Sweating isn't an issue for me and all my cakes are chilled!! thumbs_up.gif

2 Cups Crisco
1 Cup butter
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla ( I use butavan and I put in one heaping tsp)
Warm water

Cream the butter and sugar and then add pwd sugar and enough water to get the consistency I want. I beat my icing on low for quite awhile..

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 8

I do an all shortening cake icing for the summer months here and believe me, it gets hot and humid here lol .. I use 2 cups of Crisco, 2 pounds of confectioner's sugar, 4-6 tablespoons of water (depending on consistency needed) and 2 teaspoons of flavoring (your choice). Mine holds up pretty well in heat but really no icing will tolerate 80+ degree temperatures icon_sad.gif

dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 8

I use this recipe, is very good from the hot and humidity climate, really good. I live in Puerto Rico, very hot climate.

3 box powdered sugar
3/4 cups egg substitute
1 cup Crisco
1 tbs vanilla extract

*With the egg substitute, buttercream does not melt.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 8

In in Texas and for cakes I know might have issues I usually use the Wilton recipe and just use all shortening instead of butter. I think any recipe you use get rid of the butter and it should be ok. I also put my cakes in the fridge a while to set them up.
I guess I'm not the only one who can't wait until fall??

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 8

Dulce,
do you whip the egg substitute first, or just mix it all together?

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 5:38am
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for your receipes! I shall try them.

Dulce,
I also want to know what is egg substitute? Is it the whole egg or just the whites??

By the way, I just came across this receipe -
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1944-12-Snow-White-Buttercream-Frosting.html and heard that egg white holds up well for warm climates? Is that true? Anyone tried this sort of buttercream for warm weather and does it taste nice?

Thanks!

dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 8

Yes i whip the egg substituted first. And the eggs substitutes is just the whites, excuse not to clarify before. Also it is very good for using the merengue powder.

By the way sorry for my very bad english.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%