Fondant On Cupcakes

Baking By calebsmom45 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm by cutthecake

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 17

I am supposed to make black and white cupcakes for a bridal shower this weekend and I am having a hard time coming up with a design. I was thinking of maybe using fondant and putting on polka dots but I have never put fondant on a cupcake before. Do you put icing underneath the fondant like on a cake. If not, do you fill the cupcakes so that there is still frosting in the cuppie? I am trying to make them pretty but I am a regular old swirl on the cupcake girl. Help Please!! The invites are gold (or a ugly brown) with black and white polka dots. How would you decorate the cupcakes? Thanks guys

16 replies
calebsmom45 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 17

Nobody had put fondant on cupcakes? Please help! Thanks again-Brandy

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 17

Treat the cupcake as you'd treat a cake. Frost it (the top) and then cover with fondant.
HTH

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 17

Good question Brandy. I am curious about fondant on cupcakes, too. I don't have a good answer. I've heard of poured fondant that goes well on cupcakes - it's basically a thinned-out version of regular fondant. Maybe you could check it out.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 17

Why don't you frost them with white buttercream and put black fondant decorations on them. Maybe initials of the bride and groom or polka dots.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 17

I always frost my cupcakes and then put the layer of fondant on them.. just as I would a cake. I might not put a LOT of frosting on them but enough in case the person doesn't like my fondant, they can peel it off and still enjoy the cupcake!!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 17

This is what I do: Ice the cupcake with buttercream and cut out a circle that is the same size as the cupcake top. ( You can also brush with luster dust for a nice shimmer) place on cupcake, slightly molding the edges onto the cupcake.
A few ideas: 1)Use a patterened stamp with a nice design,..press into the fondant and then apply to cupcake.
2) apply white fondant to cupcake and cut out ( with the larger end of a icing tip) small black circles..apply to fondant covered cupcake with a little dot of icing.
Have fun and post your pics !
Kristy

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 17

1. when you put the bc on, do you pipe it or just put in on with a spatula?
do you shape it like a dome or just follow shape of cupcake?

2. do you leave a border around the bc so it does not sqeak out the sides of the fondant top?

3. do you chill the bc before topping with fondant?

4.lastly, how much bc can i get away with, lol? i'd like to get as much on as i can safely get away with.

sorry for all the questions!
diane

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 17

1. when you put the bc on, do you pipe it or just put in on with a spatula?
do you shape it like a dome or just follow shape of cupcake?

This will answer 1 &2 - if you want a flatter look less is more.

2. do you leave a border around the bc so it does not sqeak out the sides of the fondant top?

pipe like you would for a cake dam. if you want more frosting-try piping it inside the cupcake.

3. do you chill the bc before topping with fondant?

I would not - fondant does not do well with condensation.

4.lastly, how much bc can i get away with, lol? i'd like to get as much on as i can safely get away with - depends on what look you are going for...full and dome or flatter.[/center]

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 17

Diane,
I just put the bc on with a spatula for a smooth top. If you want to put a good amount of bc on, then I usually cut the fondant circle a little bit larger than the cupcake top...so you can cover the whole thing. I try to keep the bc away from the very edges, so the fondant covers it totally.I don't chill, I just add the fondant after i ice the cupcake.

here is a pic of one before i molded the edges to the cupcake.

Have fun..there is so much you can do with it. Stamps are my very favorite thing to use..you can paint the indentions with luster dust too.
Kristy
LL

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 17

if you want to see cupcakes with fondant go on flicker and punch in cupcakes, be prepaired to spend hours, the designs are awesome check it out

drakegore Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 17

thank you kristy and dizzymaiden!

if i put a generous amount of bc on, is it more difficult to get the nice smooth shape? god forbid i have lumpy cupcakes icon_smile.gif

when you mold the edge, you are just using your fingers to push the edges down?

is 1/16" about the width of the fondant you are using to cover the bc with?

geez, i am such a liar...no. 4 was so not my last question, lol.

diane

p.s. jolly, i have seen so many neat ones my head is spinning!

calebsmom45 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 17

Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome. I just got back from work and you guys have answered a ton of my questions already! I was afraid I might only have one reply! I too am worried about having a nice flat top like some of the ones that I have seen. They don't look like there is anything under the fondant. Also what kind of stamps do you use kKristy? Your cupcake is so pretty. How thick do you roll the fondant before you put it on the cupcake? i think I might fill them and put a minimal amount of icing underneath the fondant so i can achieve that smooth look, but i have never filled the cupcakes before. Can I just use my 1M tip and shove it in and fill it? Thanks!

drakegore Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 17

i love filling cupcakes icon_smile.gif.
there are a number of different ways people can do it.
i frequently just use my number 10 round tip.
i also have a bismark tip (think long necked number 10 tip, lol).
another way to do it is to use an apple corer (and then you can use the top of the core to plug (although you don't need to if you are frosting).

i do a lot of stampling on molding chocolate for my cakes. i find a lot of neat stamps in the craft store that are intended for clay or scrapbooking. two things to know if you are going to look "outside the box" for stamping materials -- 1) don't use the wood backed ones for food and 2) use them only for food. there are some neat sheet stamps at ac moore in the clay aisle that are the perfect size for cupcakes.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 17

Regarding filling the cupcakes, I sometimes had problems with the cake plugging the tip when I stuck it through the top of the cupcake. I would strained to fill them, only to realize that nothing was coming out of the tip. It was plugged with cake!! I solved this by first making a slit with a knife in the top of the cake, this way the tip goes in without much resistance and it doesn't plug. It was a trial and error thing for me.

drakegore Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 17

that is such a great idea! why didn't i think of that, lol?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 17

Jolly,
Wow! Some of the cupcakes on flicker are unbelievable! Thanks for that tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%