Fondant Baby Blocks?

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 12:10am by ladybuglau

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make fondant covered baby blocks to line the bottom tier of a cake and I'm not sure how. Any pointers? RKT? poured fondant?

5 replies
ladybuglau Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 6

this is what I'm trying to replicate, just not sure how to make them so perfect. Cover each individual tiny square of rice krispie treat with fondant?

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 6

I don't know about anyone else but when I make baby blocks I use gumpaste. Prepare and roll out gumpaste and cut out as many squares as you need to form each block. Lay them flat on cornstarch dusted boards and let them dry overnight. The next day, turn squares over and let dry overnight again. When they are completely dry attach each side together using gumpaste adhesive (equal parts meringue powder and water). After the blocks are dry then you can decorate them with fondant borders and letters around each side of the block. Just mix whatever colors you want into the fondant then roll out and cut into the size letters and strips for borders that you want. Attach fondant to gumpaste in the areas you want around the block using a damp brush. Let the entire block dry and then put on the cake. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

ladybuglau Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

this is what I'm trying to replicate, just not sure how to make them so perfect. Cover each individual tiny square of rice krispie treat with fondant?
LL

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 6

you can also use small cube of cakes... or even small cube of chocolate blocks... but that would be so heavy... then cover them in fondant...

ladybuglau Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:10am
post #6 of 6

thanks for the tips! I'm gonna experiment with RKT and post the results!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%