Might Be A Really Dumb Question, But....

Decorating By Alice1230 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm by Deb_

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 9

what is a "smash" cake? I've recently seen some cake photos that said they were a smash cake. Then today I saw an order at the bakery for one. (just got hired for my first job today as a cake decorator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Maybe this is something I have just missed, but I don't want to sound dumb on my first day icon_lol.gif

PS- my nerves are shot today from the anxiety of the interview so if it is a dumb question, give me a break and let it slide by! icon_razz.gif

8 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 9

A smash cake is a little cake for the first birthday. It's just the right size for the new 1 yr old to destroy without destroying the cake everyone else is going to eat. icon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 9

Congrats on the new job!!!

Alice1230 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenscakes

A smash cake is a little cake for the first birthday. It's just the right size for the new 1 yr old to destroy without destroying the cake everyone else is going to eat. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 9

I always feel bad calling it a smash cake, like who's gonna smash it in the little one's face icon_lol.gif

In my house, a smash cake is literal. For the past 2 1/2 years, my husband has smashed cake in his best friends face at every party we have. I worry our friend's might stop coming!

Congratulations on your new job! And no, it's not a stupid question. A lot of people I talk to don't know what it is!

Alice1230 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everone!!!!!!!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 9

Smash Cake- noun, verb

verb:
- 1. the act of smashing or otherwise pulverizing a cake

noun:
- 1. a sweet baked bread-like confection usually given in recognition of a child's first birthday.
- 2. an excuse for the parents and guests to be able to eat some of the cake without their one year old pawing it first! lol icon_wink.gif

Don't feel bad. I didn't know what it was until my aunt insisted I get one for my kids. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck on the new job!

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 9

First let me congradulate you on the new job. Now to answer your question ( no question is dumb..just a process of learning and growing). A smash cake is a small cake for a child's birthday (usually the first) that is for the child to enjoy as they wish. It is usually decorated to compliment and go with the birthday cake. This leaves you with a nice cake for serving that hasn't had little fingers in it. Not to mention when they like to put their face in it. Hope this helps.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 9

Congratulations on your new job!

I too had never heard of a *smash cake* until I joined CC.

All I can think of when I see one is......"Now I know why some brides and grooms feel the need to *smash* cake in each others faces at their wedding........in front of all their guests" icon_rolleyes.gif

They were taught this ridiculous act at a very early age icon_rolleyes.gif

I've been doing cakes for over 25 yrs and I've never been asked to make one, so I guess it depends on where you live. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%