Scratch Vs. Cake Mix

Decorating By Baysmeme Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm by Boogie27

Baysmeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baysmeme Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 9

This may seem like a dumb question, but...............
Do scratch recipes always rise less than box cake mixes?

or is it just me?

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 9

My scratch recipes rise too. I'm not sure if my scratch rises more than the box mix, cause I don't usually use cake mixes. Hopefully, someone can really come along and answer your question. =o)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 9

No they don't always rise less than box.

Many things factor in to the success of making a cake from scratch.

1) the most obvious is the recipe that you use.

2) the method of mixing.............to me this is probably the most important part of having success with scratch baking. If you don't mix properly, the cake will not turn out as well. For example:
a) creaming butter/sugar
b) proper measuring/weighing of dry ingredients
c) sifting when necessary
d) whipping room temp eggs when instructed to do so
e) when and how you add the liquid and dry ingredients

3) the quality of ingredients

That's a big difference from opening a package , adding eggs, oil and liquid..........then beating it up. If you try to do the same with a scratch recipe it most likely will fail or not turn out as well as it should.

So in closing I'd have to say that scratch baking does take some practice to achieve the highest quality product, but it is not impossible to master.

Once you bake the perfect scratch cake, there's no turning back in my opinion. I think people who claim that scratch cakes are dry or too dense, have not had a great scratch cake.

They're out there, you just have to find it.

Can you tell I'm a big proponent of the art of scratch baking? icon_biggrin.gif

Boogie27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boogie27 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 9

I've wanted to try a scratch cake for a long time but have been scared away because i'm afraid it won't be as 'good' as a box cake - how dumb does THAT sound - i love making things from scratch but the cakes were never that good. Does anyone have a good recipe that they trust? I will do whatever it takes for me to be able to make a scratch cake! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 9

Boogie27..........a good tried and true chocolate cake recipe is the one on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa container. It's pretty much fail-proof and the method of mixing is easy.

A good yellow cake recipe is by Sylvia Weinstock if you google her name followed by *Classic Yellow Cake recipe*, it'll come up.

HTH
Deb icon_smile.gif

Baysmeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baysmeme Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks, Deb. I'll keep trying. I made the Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes recipe today (in 2 - 9" pans). I'm sure I followed the recipe exactly (room temp. eggs, butter, etc.) and each layer only rose about 1/2". I'm not sure if it turned out correctly or not.

I've always used doctored mix recipes due to my own insecurities! I would really rather bake from scratch.

crazycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycaker Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 9

The Cake Bible is a good book if you want very detailed directions on making cakes, and there are specific recipes for large-diameter pans (use different amounts of baking powder to help with rising).

When you try recipes, write down what you do. Like mixed 2 minutes on #6, etc. Write how long you baked them, and at what temperature. When you find a recipe that you love, your notes will tell you exactly how you did it for next time. icon_wink.gif

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 9

If you can find a recipe with the weight of the ingredients and the volume measurement, those are the best (at least for me). I've found that weighing the ingredients helps me get consistent results.

I purchased an inexpensive digital scale that measures in ounces/lbs and grams so I can use most any recipe. Also, the scale has a tare setting so you can set a bowl on it, zero it out, then add your ingredient and get an accurate measurement.

I also weight my pans after I fill them up with batter to be sure I'm getting the same size layers.

Now if my oven racks were just level..... icon_mad.gif

Cindy

Boogie27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boogie27 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks all - next trip to the grocery store - LOOK OUT! I'm on a cake roll... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%