Edible Image Issue

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 1:34am by blondeez

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 9

I used an edible image for the first time and I have to say it came out awful. At first it seemed fine but then it started to wrinkle and then the wrinkles started to split and make holes. It wasn't the weather, it wasn't my perfectly smooth frosting. Does anyone know how to apply these?

8 replies
blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 9

I put my edible image sheet in the freezer for a couple minutes. It peels reallyh easy off the sheet and you have a few seconds of it being really ridged to place on the cake. Another way to apply it to a cake is to roll out a thin layer of foundant. The size of the image. Attach image to foundant and then apply the whole thing to cake.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 9

Did you keep it closed up and moist in a baggie? They will dry out FAST.

sweetnytemare, I love the freezer idea!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

I let mine sit out in the air for about an hour. it dries up a little and its easier the handle. Sometime when you print they absorbe alot of ink and it makes them wet.

myhannahbananas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myhannahbananas Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnytemare

I put my edible image sheet in the freezer for a couple minutes. It peels reallyh easy off the sheet and you have a few seconds of it being really ridged to place on the cake. Another way to apply it to a cake is to roll out a thin layer of foundant. The size of the image. Attach image to foundant and then apply the whole thing to cake.

Thats a great idea!! I have to work with rice paper for the first time next week, Im doing a benefit and need to make cookies with the little girls picture on them, I wonder if fondant will stick good to royal icing??

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 9

I use edible images alot and never seem to have problems, when I run them through my printer to get the best print quality I make sure I change the type of paper I am printing on. I change mine to glossy. When I apply to the cake I always put them on when the frosting is wet, and smooth out alot to make sure all of the air bubbles are out. I make small circles and work to the edge of the image. You have to work kinda fast before the image itself starts to melt into the cake. Sorry you had issues but for the most part they are very easy to work with, if I am not going to use my image after I print it I always make sure it get put back in an air tight back, if they dry out theyare awful to work with.
Keep trying

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 9

I freeze mine as well before applying! Works perfectly!

blondeez Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #8 of 9

Thats a great idea!! I have to work with rice paper for the first time next week, Im doing a benefit and need to make cookies with the little girls picture on them, I wonder if fondant will stick good to royal icing??[/quote]

Quote:
Quote:

When it comes to appling photos to cookies. I put a thin layer of BC between the cookie and the foundant. I also put a very thin layer of BC between the foundant and edible image. I border the cookies in royal icing. Once the Royal icing hardens (which is usually over night) the I can put the cookies in clear bags and dress them up with curly ribbons.

blondeez Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 9

I just want to say sorry in advance for my last post. Im new to blogging and to repling to what others write. Im working on it though LOL. In advance thanks for your patience with me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%