Set Up Fee For Cupcake Tower?

Baking By sugarspice Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 11:13am by sugarspice

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:54am
post #1 of 5

I just did my first cc tower for a wedding-200 with a 6" cutting cake on top. I set it up, and got all the cupcakes on/around the tower so they wouldn't have to re-fill. Just a plain swirl-pict is in my photos. I spent over an hour setting this up-being a bit obsessive about alternating the 2 flavors and 2 colors. I charged $2 per serving on everything. I am wondering what most people do-charge a set up fee, since it is WAY more time than a wedding cake? Next time I do plan to go higher than $2 each-but I was pleasantly surprised that the are faster/less stress than a traditional cake thumbs_up.gif
Also-I had the tower tightly together, but it would still sway (complete panic on my part) It was on an elevated silver base (maybe 4" tall?)
Is it common for the towers to be a bit unstable? It didn't fall icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 5

Sugarspice. I also have to do 200 cupcakes with a small 6"cutting cake in August. I am wondering what size tiers were your stands to hold 200 cupcakes? I have a stand (homemade-see link below.Idea from cakejournal site), but it only holds about 80 cupcakes. I would like it that the staff do not have to refill if possible. I have undercharged ($250-Canadian-family/friend discount), as it is a friend & through this friend I have received orders for two other wedding cakes that I will charge full price for. I do not plan on charging a set up fee, but am charging a stand fee ($50). Once the stand is returned in good condition, I will reimburse the $50. One last question. How far in advance did you start baking the cupcakes? Thanks.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cake-stand-for-cupcakes-or-mini-cakes

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 5

I charge more to set up cupcakes than cake. All my set up and delivery fees are priced per order.

Like, most cakes are fully decorated, I walk it in, put it down and am done. If they choose a design that requires me to spend more time at the venue finishing the cake, they get charged. This is something I know while I am designing the cake, during the consultation, and will add it on right then.

Cupcakes take 2-3 times longer than a cake to set up. I put them in boxes of 30-50 depending on the design. I had to make 4 trips up 2 flights of stairs with my last cupcake delivery, then put them all on the stand. So, they got charged more for that. Knowing the venue and how I work has helped me price things more appropriately.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 5

Definitely charge more... cupcakes are a PAIN. I hate them. I'd rather do a 7 tiered cake that was heavily decorated than a cupcake order... icon_lol.gif. Charge for them like you would for a serving of cake. A standard sized cupcake is equal to a standard wedding slice of cake. I start decorated cupcakes at $4.50 each... a simple swirl with no filling would be $3.50 each. They take more time to get into the oven than a cake... more boxes to transport than a cake... more time to set up than a cake... and usually more time to decorate than a cake.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:13am
post #5 of 5

I had a 5 tier cupcake stand-and all the rest went on the table around the stand. It was $50-couldn't see spending over $100, like some of them are!. I baked the day before the wedding & that worked. They take a lot of icing-I used 7 batches. I got caught without enough and running after pwd sugar at 9:30 pm icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%