Luster Dust Question

Baking By Schmulie65 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm by Schmulie65

Schmulie65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmulie65 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 5

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I not quite sure how to use luster dust. Can it be added to the RI? I used gold luster dust once to "paint" on some coins in a cauldron (I did use alcohol to mix with the luster dust). It seem to get on the black part of the cauldron and I was not happy with the results. I need to do some samples of a monogram cookie and the "&" sign needs to be in silver luster dust. I don't want it to get on the rest of the cookie. Any advice?? I have no clue as to what the heck I'm doing. Thank you, Thank you!!

Schmulie65 icon_smile.gif

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 5

you cant really mix it with the RI, it wont look right either. you can colour your RI the right colour, like grey, then use the silver dust, and it will be more effective.
you just have to be really careful!
xx

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, when I use lustre dust I mix it with confactioner's glaze. I like the consistancy it gives. I only mix these when I want either silver or gold. You need to have a thin brush and paint that carefully with the dust mix. Have a look at the Peacock wedding cake that I did last year. The gold colour is painted on the white scrolls with a thin brush. icon_smile.gif

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with the advice already given here... i think a good, thin brush is key. If you can buy a paintbrush with the real, not synthetic hair, i find that's a bit more helpful too. (generally with a larger surface area being painted though; for smaller, more finicky areas... just need the right shape/size of brush).

Schmulie65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmulie65 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone! I would have responded sooner, but I'm having trouble with the "watch this topic" thing and didn't get a notification. Thanks so much for the advice!

Schmulie65 icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%