Extreme Decorating... Am I Magic?

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 17 May 2009 , 10:39pm by ericaplh

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #61 of 74

Oh wow, what a flashback!
"Tight rolled" jeans... parachute pants... Members Only jackets, Guess Jeans, Swatch watches... 3 or 4 on EACH arm!

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #62 of 74

I was also born in '81 and graduated in '99, but I was the youngest cousin and ran around with all the older girls. I had tight rolled jeans, strange patterned shirts, funny looking shoes and BIG hair. I was SO in love with New Kids on the Block and the one song that I have in my head right now is...

Smokin' in the Boys Room! icon_cool.gif

You gotta love old Motley Crew.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #63 of 74

OMG, this post is so fun and it brought back so many memories! I graduated in 1982 and I know I must have looked like a hooker! Big feathered back hair, lots of loud makeup, skinny black pants (think Olivia Newton John in Grease), spike heels! My prom song was Stairway to Heavan also!

Maris307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maris307 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #64 of 74

Oh my goodness Aligotmatt, I had a white boyfriend shirt with paint splatters very much like your cake! I didn't remember it until I saw your cake picture!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #65 of 74

I was born in '77 so I was pretty young in the 80's, but I hung around with my older brother and cousins (10 years older) and wanted to be just like them. I loved Ratt, Motley Crue, Guns n Roses etc.........I wore the big sweatshirt dresses off my shoulder with the lace thing in my hair (like madonna) When my DH sees pics of me from that era he doesn't let me live it down. I was also really into the Snorks, Smurfs, He-Man, She-ra, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, well I actually still love all of those things icon_redface.gif One of my favorite movies was The legend of Billie Jean..........I thought it was totally rad!

The purple and black checkers on the cake remind me of a pair of Vans I used to have. And now my 12 year old has the same ones, well not the same ones , she has her own pair icon_lol.gif . Boy does this make me feel OLD!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kahealani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kahealani Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #66 of 74

two days to make this cake happen? WOW!!
I cant wait to see what you created.
I can imagine the motivation when they throw at you..."Money is not an object, they'll pay anything.."
Then the expectation statement sounds like this...."Go ace of cakes on this one!"
OKAY....no pressure here at all!!
Good Luck on this one....it is in times like these that being a part of CC is invaluable!!
So much wonderful feedback...ideas...things that get your imagination jogging and creating....
It's Awesome!!
Well, today is Thursday for me here in Hawaii, and like I said, I cant wait to hear how things turned out!! Please share okay?
I'm sorry I cant give any inspiritation as far as being a part of the whole 80's generation....Its BEFORE my time...icon_lol.gif hehehe!!
You are awesome!! You can do it!!

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #67 of 74

icon_cry.gif the pic isn't showing up and I dodn't get to see it.

I can relate to all the post I graduatred in 87, boy do I miss the 80's. I have my 16 year old hooked on music from that era, the music back then was the best. icon_razz.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #68 of 74

Thanks Everyone icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif A friend of mine sent me a picture of a splattered T and said that's what reminded her of the 80's. seemed like a great idea for an 80's cake. Some checkered converse won the bottom tier.

The wire was just for fun, I made a funky candle thing for the top because it was a birthday cake and it looked too plain up there all alone. So, I made sparkly squares and put them on wires.

The mother of the birthday girl called me and said it was perfect, she loved it, the colors, everything, couldn't have imagined it better.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #69 of 74

Aligotmatt, I love it! Great job! I had the knit pants and/or a matching shirt with that same pattern and colors.

I was 7 in 1980 with really young parents and a sister that was two years older than me, so I totally relate to everyone else's 80's memories (including Stairway to Heaven being really popular, pretty much, all throughout the 80's)!
BUT no one mentioned JAMS (only the best shorts ever) or Bass bucks (sp?) -you know, the brown suede lace up shoes?!?! What about Twist-A-Beads? Or the also popular Add-a-Bead necklaces? Reebok hightops, white of course! Paisley shirts and shirts buttoned all the way up with a brooch?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #70 of 74

Graduated in 81.........I'm so enjoying this walk down memory lane.

Don't forget the shiny lip gloss and feather earrings. I remember having a pair of blue feather earrings and I matched my eye shadow to them.......oh yeah, I thought I was so cool icon_cool.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #71 of 74

Wow, I had a t-shirt that was "splashed" just like your top layer. It was one of those huge oversized ones. Wore it with the wide belt that came to a "v" in the front, a pair of stirrup pants and leg warmers. Wow.

Bec

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #72 of 74

Tuxedo SHIRTS!! And then, oh oh oh!! And those white sunglasses that look like venetian blinds! LOL!! Bangs that are frozen in mid air! And pink frosted lipstick! And I'm Puerto Rican so 5" red stiletto heels with skin tight acid-washed jeans and big 'ol golden hoop earrings! Oh how I miss the 80's!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #73 of 74

Funny thing is, I went to the mall last weekend and the acid wash pants are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #74 of 74

I never went anywhere without my Asics wrestling sneakers (though I never wrestled a day in my life) and my Gear bag that looked like a giant bathtub mat...Lots of scrunched up big hair and lots of bright blue eye liner...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%